SpaceRay

Filters: 33
Steampunk Panel by Mongoose King
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/10298.html

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

WOW !!!! I really like very much and is very well done and very realistic, awesome and beatiful the textures AND all the rivets AND most of all is that is NOT only a frame as on preset 1, as it has MANY possible variations and have a frame with rivets or fill the whole square with them.

Congratulations. Thanks
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Filters: 20
Another killer filter from the king himself smile:D
Love that texture!
  Details E-Mail
Ghislaine
Ghislaine

Filters: 108
Awesome ! smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Mardar
Graphics Junkie

Filters: 55
I like how you got different degrees of grunge on the frame, rivets and center of this filter. Great job. smile;)
  Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

Thanks everyone! smile:) This one's been a while coming...

I know some of you might remeber a post in forums where I showed a similar filter, this one is totally redone from scratch, but I'm still working on the original which has even better grunge and more realistic metal look.

Here's a peek at that one just to tease everyone... smile:)

Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Filters: 163
Like it... I'm sure game devs are going to like this alot too... smile:)
Steve

"Buzzards gotta eat...same as worms..." - Clint :)
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Oh crudd! I just drooled over my keyboard smile:D
  Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

Also working on the circular version...

Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

Hey everyone!

Round version is done!

http://www.filterforge.com/filters/10318.html

Had to make it a seperate filter due to the controls being so differnt for a circular arangement. Enyoy!

Unfortunatly they don't seamless together too well due to the round filter's edge being the middle material not the edge material. tho, with a very thick frame you can get the frame to reach the edges, one of the preset's is set that way. The patterns should be identical with the same variation, brightness and tint etc. Another trick is, you can make just the frame with alpha background and then stick that onto a blank piece from this filter. I'm sure you'll all figure plenty of ways to fit bits of each together..
Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Thanks very much for the round one, is also very well done as the first one, now is only the deliciously looking scratched grunge metal version.
  Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

The scratched version, well... I have a very fully featured one which has a very good metalic effect, however, it currently takes about 15 mins to render a 512X512 on the first pass. soooo, more work to do on that one...
Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Mongoose King wrote:
it currently takes about 15 mins to render a 512X512

smile:eek: smile:eek: WOW !

Perhaps another way and temporal fix and solution until you get the real one better, could probably be to apply one (or many) scratched textures to the filter above using blend modes, and change the brown textured background for a real photo textured one (instead of generating it inside FF)
  Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

Got my numbers a bit wrong there, that's 15 mins for the whole thing atm, with the AA, it's 5 mins for the first pass before the AA.

The slowness is from using high pass and blur (the high pass is need to give the really realistic metal effect) and because the rust and scratch effects are on the surface too, so it's a lot more complex surface. also the dirt and rust parts use very detailed noise compared to this one.

I have a plan though, I beleive I can eliminate the blur and high pass by using a smoother fuzzier set of noise components for the scratches and then using a threshhold to create a sharper set, and using the inverse of that as an opacity on a blend, thus leaving just a thin edge around the scratches, and achiving the same effect as if i had used a high pass. You can't see it on that first one I posted because it's not got very good lighting, but the scratched one has a much more metalic look. This image shows it a bit better.

Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

I like the new one VERY much. It looks more realistic than the older one. Hope you can get the render times down, although what's 15 minutes among friends smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

It's all down to the lighting. It gets a really good metalic look at a few very specific angles of lighting, I chopped out 1 blur component and it didn't make much difference, but not sure if I can get rid of the high pass.

I was just comparing the two filters in the editor, and well, this one is something else entirely. It's quite a beast, I'd forgotten how complex it is, I think one problem it has is it's kind of a crazy spider web, rather than having nice linear branches for rust, dirt, rivets, etc and then blending them all for a finished thing, they all cross over constantly, like every couple of steps it sends bits off to a differnet branch and gets some bits back. It's about 5 times as big, and with about 5 times the number of noise components, so I think even if I get rid of the high pass it will still be slow.

Another thing is, it's square only, it can't do a rectangular one, if you give it a 2:1 image, you just get 2 squares on top of each other.

Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Good enough for me. When will you upload? smile:)
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Good enough for me too! It is looking very good in the new version and very similar to the old one.

The Blur filter seems to be very slow and cpu intensive smile:(
  Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

The other filter has a different way of doing things, it's a lot more complex and the controls are pretty wacky anyway, so I decided to add circle mode in the same filter, the way the other one works, there's one a couple of different controls for the circle mode.

I just have to add the alpha options and I think that's it.

I implemented a nice little fix for the problem that you see in the circle version of this one when you get two rows of rivets, where the inner row is slightly squashed and oval, the new one has less rivets in inner rows so there's no distortion.

Hopefully should have it done tomorrow.
Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

Here's a test of the other filter in round mode.

Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Here's a test of the other filter in round mode.

WOW !! Love it much!! Very nice and wonderful ! Great work and excellent effect

The rust and scratches are controlled by the user ? I mean if you can add more or less of them, Have it full of scratches and rust or have none ?
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Looks amazing!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

One question or suggestion, I have seen that the great and nice texture of the original Steampunk Panel is generated totally with FF components, and I like it much, BUT I wonder and ask if probably could there be a way to import and use your own textures.

I mean that for example in the excellent www.cgtextures.com website you can look in the "metals" category and see "leaking", or go to the "Rust" category and have lots more textures. Many of this are seamless, or you can convert them to seamless easily.

As you have done a very good and wonderful work making this panels with all the lovely rivets, it would be also very good to have an option to change the texture used in the same way that you have the option to change the color of the texture.

This could be probably a very good thing, at least from my point of view.

And as I said, I am telling that I do not like your beautiful FF own generated texture, I am suggesting to expand and make it even better

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I have found this Screw heads by chance when I was looking for a different thing, and then I thought about this great filter, and I had the idea that this would also be very good to use on this filter, so I wonder if there could be a way to choose the kind of rivet or screw head you want.

If it could be possible it would really make this much more versatile and even more useful and lovely.

I do not want to MIX them, just to use one for all, the same as now the rivets are that have only one model.

Thanks very much

Here is the file preview from the link above

Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

interesting ideas..

I just submitted the grungey filter.

I think the texture idea could be good, I think in a new filter tho, that does some other things. I've been pondering using the rectangles and polygons in V2 to put the rivets on a bigger variety of places and use the bomber or the arrange grid snippet to place more detailed bolts and screws. Will have to put those ideas in a new filter.
Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Mongoose King wrote:

interesting ideas..

Glad that you like my suggestions and ideas, and I have to say that I like your ideas for future filters too smile:)

By the way, I suposse that you have seen that the screws heads photo above is downloadable free in the link I have put, so you take a look if you need them.

I have some more suugestions and idea for your inspiration and ideas smile:D

More kind of rivets and screws

ALSO See this other links here that can´t be hot linked to the forum

structure-of-old-metal-with-rivets

stock-photo-red-leather-texture-with-metal-rivets-and-precious-stones
  Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

That second to last picture is exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of for a more advanced kind of filter. I'd really like to have a filter that makes a similar sort of thing with panels and rivets and maybe pipes and other things. At the moment when I want a nice interior wall for a steampunk building or ship, I usually make a metal background with filter forge then plop down panels that i cut out from royalty free images like ones from cgtextures.

If you've seen Total Control by Carl, then imagine the same sort of thing but with rusty industrial machinery, rather than switches.
Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Mongoose King wrote:
That second to last picture is exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of for a more advanced kind of filter. I'd really like to have a filter that makes a similar sort of thing with panels and rivets and maybe pipes and other things.

From the first moment I have seen it I knew you were going to like this smile:) I also like it much and it has lots of different kind of variations and also holes and pipes.

FILTER TO MAKE BELTS WITH METALLIC RIVETS ?

If you want I also can suggest to make something totally different, and would to make long textured bands with rows of rivets for perhaps making belts, or any other thing that this could be used for. Here is a example of some belts

Also this helmet that you could like to see

This is form this website ---> Steampunk Love
  Details E-Mail
lipebianc
FFF = Filter Forge Fan

Filters: 12
This is great, Mongoose King!
Congratulations!
"From the moment we are born, we start being filtered..."
  Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:( smile:(

smile:( Super non-funs! The grunge panel got rejected for being too slow. smile:(

smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry: smile:cry:
Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

The only thing I could suggest is that you upload the filter to the forim and have the masters check it out and see how they could make it faster with all their FF wizardry.
Too bad, it looks MUCH better than anything else on the FF library.

Also, it's kinda stupid if you ask me to reject a filter for speed... Some people have faster computers, some have time to waste, and in any case, the speed issue is a FF inc. problem to solve (CUDA anyone?).
You can't reject filters for being slow and then do NOTHING about speeding things up! smile:evil:
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Filters: 75
It's a shame it's so slow, you did a great job with it. Maybe do what Morgantao said, and Sphinx or someone will give it a "boost". Or try to analyze it yourself.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I am sorry for you that they have rejected your beautyful and lovely grungre panel, and only because is too slow.

Please, what is considered TOO SLOW for FF Inc. ? There are many filters in the Library that are very slow and they are already in the library.

Also, it's kinda stupid if you ask me to reject a filter for speed... Some people have faster computers, some have time to waste,

YES, I agree, it should be leaved to the FF user to decide if it is too slow or not. Or they could accept it BUT put a warning sign telling, "This filter could be probably very slow in your computer" or anything else that could let you know BUT do not reject it only for this UNLESS is a really very slow filter and would take LOT of time to do something.

and in any case, the speed issue is a FF inc. problem to solve (CUDA anyone?).
You can't reject filters for being slow and then do NOTHING about speeding things up!

YES, is true the problem probably is NOT ONLY that the filter itself is slow, is ALSO that the FF Engine can´t make it run faster, and is NOT optimized for getting the most of todays much powerful computers in a good way. Yes I know that it can use ALL the CPU cores available, BUT only uses 1,5 GB RAM and can´t use any of the Graphics cards features for getting faster graphics.

CUDA Anyone ? Do not expect to be for FF, as they have already said that it will not be possible to use it because on how FF has been built and developed.
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Yeah I know they won't do CUDA or OpenGL or anything else for that matter. That's why I think that FF inc. shouldn't reject filters for being "too slow". As SpaceRay said, you can have a warning on the filter page that it's a "go to sleep and come back in the morning to see the results kind of filter".

It's like having a multi million dollar, state of the art highway with a minimum speed of 50 mph, but for bicycles only.
Last time I checked, not many cyclists go 50 mph, so it's a very lonely ride.
Either let cars drive on the road, or lower the minimum speed limit.

Another analogy would be those rediculously expensive cars that go fr om 0 to 60 mph in 4 seconds, have a top speed of 260 mph, ceramic breaks, carbon fiber body, 2 turbo chargers, 3 litre engine and no turn signals, so they are not road legal and you can drive them on a closed track only.
Unless FF dev team is gonna fit turn signals on the program, it's gonna remain an expensive heap of last decade coding.
Computers are evolving, so should FF. In the mean time, remove the absurd "speed lim it".
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Hey Mongoose, maybe you can have a "preview" option that will cut down dramatically on the render time like in Emme's 2.5D Terrain filter.
That way you can cheat the submition wizard into letting you submit this wonderful filter.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I have just seen this in this other thread Submission wizard speed limit

GMM wrote:
Morgantao, you're talking of automatic rejection. But we can accept a good filter manually: if a filter is really good the author can contact the support team and request manual approval.

Probably this filter did NOT pass the submit wizard speed limit BUT you could contact the support team and ask that they put it inside the library personally and manually by the FF team because I think is a very good filter.
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Yep, looks real good, no reason not to include it in the library.
I'd contact the support team. If you do it now maybe when the weekend is over it will be up smile:)
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Yes, you should contact the FF support team and tell them about your filter, but until next monday there will be nothing to do I think.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

This filter has won one of my own SA Awards

Congratulations and thanks very much for creating this filter that are so creative, with many possible ways and variations and so very well done. Love it much.
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

17,444 Registered Users
+7 new last day!

121,278 Posts
+21 new last day!

11,145 Topics
+9 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

7 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter