Bookmark and Share

LAB#3015 Skybase

<< 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ...  21 >>

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
Morgantao
Can't script

Filters: 20
Look really good.
I love the idea of the diffuse pass only in 3D progs... Not that I do 3D smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Filters: 65
Thought I'd make a material out of my older filterforge stuff. Rendered using Octane, PMC kernel, 12 minutes 450 samples. The texture's set to emit based off the diffuse, there are also bump and normal maps hooked up although because of the emission it really isn't that present. Unfortunately the way I UV mapped the spheres kinda made it hard to test the material evenly so you have stretching towards the equator of the sphere. I'll probably make a better test object in the future with proper UV mapping.

Unlike Indigo, Octane doesn't have displacement mapping so you won't see additional geometry created based on material.

The floor was set to glossy. Not a lot of stuff beyond that point.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Of course, we all love to make procedural wood. A while back I did a writeup on using FilterForge to produce a very simple yet convincing wood texture you can read it here: http://skybase.wordpress.com/2012/01/...ter-forge/

I rendered it and applied it to the octane material ball. PMC kernel, around 10 minutes of render time.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Filters: 33
WOW!! I think that you are getting a very beautiful and interesting filter here !!

Very good and well done

Skybase wrote:

The catch with this filter is that the work comes out abstracted and not really specific.

When you look at real stained glass windows the artist crafts each piece of glass in a specific manner, usually like a contour or broken abstraction with distinct geometric properties.

Many others have tried to make this kind of filter ans was not well done, and I think that you are getting it better.

What I like from this filter is that you are NOT trying to take a perfect specific reproduction of the source image, and I like the ABSTRACTED result it offers with all the different mini shapes and the shaded tones of colors that look like the crystal of stained glass.

As you have said when they make a stained glass window, they craft each piece very carefully and makes a previous specific drawing by hand carefully design the image to be able to use it as a stained glass design. And none of this is a exact reproduction of the real thing because it would not be possible.

STILL MADE BY HAND the drawing and design? Perhaps NO as there is already some specific software for this as you can see in this link. This is NOT at all a filter to convert designs to stained glass, is like a kind of photoshop for designing stained glass.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

ONE POSSIBLE SUGGESTION - Have 3 textures to choose?

As I have seen that you have added nice and lovely textures to each of the pieces of the glass, I have thought that if would be possible to have 3 choices of textures to choose from to put inside the stained glass, obviously all the parts would have JUST ONE of the choosen texture designs, I do not want to mix them.

If you want, you can see some examples of stained glass textures in this Google images search

I suposse that you can define and customize how big or small are the subdivision and if you want more or less amount of glass pieces.

Thanks very much for making this artistic filter that looks very good.
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

What I like from this filter is that you are NOT trying to take a perfect specific reproduction of the source image, and I like the ABSTRACTED result it offers with all the different mini shapes and the shaded tones of colors that look like the crystal of stained glass.

Actually 2 years ago I attempted making that specific-region based stained glass window generator. It took quite some load of effort, the results were satisfactory, but the speed of the render was upsetting. I ended up not using that filter, instead did it all by hand which came out much nicer. Sometimes... just best to do it by hand. smile;)

Also speaking about alternative patterning: it'll happen. I just want the foundation at least in the FilterForge library so the filter's already submitted but only with 2 variations based on stones noise. The thing is, there are so many alternative patterning methods I want to introduce it'll bloat the filter up. smile:)

Fortunately my work load is smaller now that I'm done with my shortfilm (for now). Just a couple projects to do over this spring.... I can invest more time on producing in-house production tools (means lots of FilterForge and other programs.)
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Stained Glass window gen thingy I made a while ago now has a tiny little update with major differences. I added another noise pattern to it. Nothing really that special. Only problem now is the 3 minute render time which I don't think I can do anything about. On the other note, I want to make a tiled version separately because as much as plugging those nodes works in this version, there are other ways that can totally optimize the work.

Here's a test.

Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Looks good.
A tileable stained glass would be usefull! smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Stones and Marbles filter by Chachah on Indigo test ball

http://www.filterforge.com/filters/10215.html

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Same filter, different settings.

You can see some more of my texture collection here: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Custom...ls/3532291

smile:)

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Beautiful collection of textures you have. Well done

I like this ones best

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

The ever growing library of textures smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

Filters: 97
what do you make those balls with? there shld be a simple program that does those type things where it just makes the one shape but you simply add the textures and it would spit them out on the ball. dont need the whole 3d program, just the ball maker as a sort of reader program.
If wishes were horses... there'd be a whole lot of horse crap to clean up!

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Kraellin, he used either Indigo Ray or Octane, depends on the picture.
I agree the *should* be a program that allows you to test materials, bu ala, for now you need a whole 3D program for that, and they usualy cost alot.
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

The material balls are default test objects which represent complex geometry with UV mapped surfaces. Test balls generally allows us to see how materials will look like wrapped on a curved surface, but it also can be any object really. (Cubes, cones, human heads... anything goes really.) The material balls I'm rendering here are default 3D objects which can be invoked when you create a new material. So nothing too special here.

Generally render engines would need an external 3D program such as Maya, Modo, 3Ds Max... and geometry from the program gets exported out (or packaged) to the render engine.

There are a couple cool freeware things you can use to model some objects without too much knowledge and render them.

For example you can play with programs like TopMod http://code.google.com/p/topmod/ which lets you make complex geometries relatively quickly. However this program doesn't let you generate UV maps which are essencial for image-based textures.

Fortunately there are still tons of free alternatives. We have Blender which is a lovely piece of Opensource 3D program allowing you to pretty much do everything. The program comes with several render engines including Cycles render which behaves like Octane render and so on. But the one thing you can do is export geometry from TopMod to Blender, then use Blender to create UVs and produce materials, then render the images. This is generally easy as long as you know which buttons to push. There are tons of resources regarding Blender and while the overall program is slightly confusing, it's not that bad, and the output quality is just as great as Maya.

So try blender if you want a full 3D package for nothing!

And if anything if you're looking specifically for just texturing and rendering and so on... you can always just download the renderer and load some free models from places like Creative Crash and use that as basis for texturing. Generally free models aren't great examples of geometry but it works for just texturing purposes.
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

I have installed Blender a while ago to do just those test renders on primitive shapes like a ball and a cube, but as you said:
This is generally easy as long as you know which buttons to push

And I don't... smile:|

I suppose if someone (hint hint) uploaded a Blender file all set up with a shape, lighting, camera and material, I will be able to just swap material maps and render.
But I don't know how to do that, and I don't have time to watch the video tutorials that explain everything smile:(
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Hm...

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Hmm... part 2 (redesigned experiments)

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Metal Dabs makes a return. Runs much much faster than the previous versions smile;)

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Experiments with lighting can really change visual looks....

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Skybase wrote:
Hmm... part 2

I like this too, in fact I am making a similar experiment like this smile:D but your look better than mine, and with more different sizes.

Skybase wrote:
Metal Dabs makes a return. Runs much much faster than the previous versions

WOW!! this bubling metal with the colors of the source image looks really beautiful, love this very much., and good to know that now is faster than before although it was not released.
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

I like the first Hmm... too smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Hmmm.... part 4 or 5

Experiments with circles n stuff.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Hmmm part 5 or something. Whatever just a bunch of circles.

This one's based on image input.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

super colors!!!!!

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Some designer-tiling things....

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

When applied to an image....

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

WOW !!! GREAT WORKS !! Love this mouth watering 5 examples you have made smile:) Like them much.

At what temperature is this metal mercury bubbling ? smile:D

Great circles with depth and different opacities

And the last one with so many colorful triangular shapes
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Very nice looking examples! Can't wait to get my hands on those filters smile:)

In the last triangle examples, that's a steet, isn't it? Or maybe a market?
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Yup that's a picture of a street. smile:) I'll put up the source pictures some time later. Here's another one I made....

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

More experiments utilizing bombers and stuff. The colors on this one come out really nicely. smile:) That's what happens to the life-saver image when I use the filter on it.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Another test run. Takes around 20 seconds or so for the render to fully complete. Not bad.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Garlic test image looks like pink weirdness. I need to start setting some parameters up for the filter. smile:)

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

The tree default image looks probably the best. Most grand and gorgeous. Complex on multiple levels. Insane too.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Last test using the tree image from the built-in tests. smile:D

Details E-Mail
Sphinx.
Filter Optimizer

Filters: 38
Nice chaotic hippie designs! reminds me a bit of something from the 60-70ies
Njyldgarkn sample cache!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

WOW !!! smile:eek: smile:eek: smile:ff: Excelent and beautiful examples, and very complex as I like them. This is really a truly overhaul conversion from the lifesaver and the tree image to those awesome designs you have got here.

Will be able to see some of all of these shown in this page in the FF library or this are only filters made for you and not to be shared in the library?

Or are you also a hoarder like me or Indigo Ray? smile;) smile:D

Until now the only one available is the great and wonderful Stained Glass.

I do not want to force in any way to share them, or publish them now if they are not ready and you want to make it right, just to know if in the near future all this gems and great creations will be available.
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Will be able to see some of all of these shown in this page in the FF library or this are only filters made for you and not to be shared in the library?

Some of the effects were made for specific projects. Like the colorful Triangle filter thingy and the ones I posted last night will probably remain private. They're really for a project I'm working on about colors and stuff. So I wanted to make something simple but complex at the same time.

But the rest of it will be in the gallery. They just need tinkering because every time I press the next-variant button the whole parameter set just goes bonkers and the result looks awful. So that needs to be addressed.

Currently busy organizing life, getting ready to go to places and stuff. smile:) So filterforge stuff just ends up being low priority.

Until now the only one available is the great and wonderful Stained Glass.

??? I have 47 filters on this site smile:p ???? http://www.filterforge.com/filters/au...page1.html Well, I figure I'd say you'll see more soon. 50 filters!! Woo!!
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Cool stuff Skybase!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Skybase wrote:
But the rest of it will be in the gallery.

Please, could be possible that you give more details of wich ones belongs to "the rest" ?

Will any of this great and beautiful examples here below belong to the public filters that you will be so kind to share in the FF library?

Skybase wrote:
Some of the effects were made for specific projects. Like the colorful Triangle filter thingy and the ones I posted last night will probably remain private.

Ok, I agree with you and of course that you are totally free to share what you want and show us the great, amazing and wonderful works that you are making.

I think that when you say "the ones I posted last night" you are refering to the 5 complex textures made with the bomber.

As this will remain private, could there be some kind of suggestion on how you have been able to do this beauties ?

Specially this ones that is really jawdropping beautiful and awesome

Congratulations for your work and skills to make such a wonderful and beautiful creations.

I admire your FF skills and great creativity and the quality is SkyHigh
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Yup, those + some earlier ones = the rest.

As this will remain private, could there be some kind of suggestion on how you have been able to do this beauties ?

Actually this is such a simple filter I might as well make something I can share with all of you. smile;) The thing with the uber colorful circles / triangles filter is that they got this signature look on it. So giving the filter away is like giving the entire work away. At least on my end that's how I feel. But because it's so simple and because it produces such complex results, I might as well make something that I'll be ok sharing.

I think this is probably the first instance where I'm withholding some filters because of a specific look. smile;) Come to think of it, I've shared nearly everything I made in the past 6 years. Most of my works are creative-commons licensed.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Thanks for the info Skybase and answer.

I do not want that you think that I may be angry or bad because you can´t this filter with me or with the forum, this is NOT true at all, and I respect and agree that you are totally free to share or NOT whatever you want, it´s YOUR work and you are not forced in any way to share it because you are showing it.

And I thank you for all the works that you have shared here already in this 6 years.

ALso there could be possibly a way that you could ONLY share by private message or email and only to selected persons and not make it available to the public to every one, and again this is totally up to you and is you who decides what to do and free to do whatever you want, do not feel bad or guilty in any way if you can´t or do not want to share it as I understand it very much.

Perhaps I can suggest that when you show your great and beautiful work you could tell if this is from a filter that you are developing that could be available in the future OR this is a private work you are doing for yourself and so this way people will not get confused and think that this could be filters that would be available.
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

lol SpaceRay, I never took your post as angry or bad or for that matter anything over the top serious. Just see you as another fellow filterforge user who happens to write a ton on the forums here.

I'm usually posting stuff here to give a glimpse of what's in the works, some fun things I'm doing, and just whatever I feel like that's related to FilterForge. There's no guarantee that the filters I'm developing (or showing off) will be in the public library, but, about 90% of the filters I produce and display here usually end up being part of the library anyway. So I mean, there's no point to explicitly stating whether a filter will be available or not because most of them will be and sure, from time to time there will be exceptions. Point is I'm really just having fun and nothing serious. If its serious, it won't be here. You're probably the first one to directly ask me about the availability of those filters I'm making. heh. smile:p

I figure all I have to say to that is just wait. I just happen to be busy with some other work and just haven't had the time to do cleanup on the filters.
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Thought it'd be nice to pass some of my fractal images into FilterForge. I'm using Point and Shoot v2.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

The fractals are rendered out using Ultra Fractal. Recently the Mac version came out and I'm super happy about it. These are really just mandelbrot sets but they're rendered differently. And it's really awesome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhabrot

Details E-Mail

<< 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ...  21 >>

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

16,834 Registered Users
+8 new last day!

118,933 Posts
+22 new last day!

10,838 Topics
+14 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last minute:

8 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter