Morgantao
Can't script

Filters: 20
I love the last one!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Filters: 33
Good work, it looks curious, as Morgantao, I like also the last one of the 3 shown at the end of page 7.
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Filters: 75
Ok, here's that fractal filter. This filter is meant to be EDITED each time you use it (sorry, I overwrote the "butterfly" example). You can use it as a template for more specialized filters. It has one control for mere convenience. I separated the components into groups so the filter would be easy to understand and use. smile:)

Indigo's Fractals.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Thanks for the filter, it´s weird and curious and can use it in many possible ways by joining different compoments.
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Another go at "erosion". This is from the innards of my "Peanut Butter" filter. The Beta V4 "grouping" feature (with "instancing") helped clean up the filter tree. Basically, the algorithm is: Erode (subtract) from the flattest areas, leaving the steep areas untouched. I repeated this a second time (but more subtle) and got this: smile8)

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Filters: 67
Starting to come along! Looks a little like a adobe wall... smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

This kinda looks like an arial photo. I should know, as I've been working on those for some time.
Only thing, you should have some kind of blur on the noisy areas.
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

This 3d graph [z=sin(xy)] is made of 9 vertical slices, not using the smudge component, but a series of offsets. Right now, this slicing method is a lot faster than smudging. Now imagine increasing the amount of slices. The slices get closer and closer together, and soon, you won't be able to tell them apart. It'll all look like one smooth curve. Voila! You have the smudge component! smile:) But it'll be slow as heck. smile:(

By the way, for those who don't know math but can understand this, you just learned the basics of calculus. smile8)

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

Filters: 97
ok, that last is an interesting one, but if it involves calculus then it's the work of the devil! smile:evil: smile:D
If wishes were horses... there'd be a whole lot of horse crap to clean up!

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

smile:dgrin:
  Details E-Mail
Sharandra
Filter Forge Addict

Filters: 25
Yuck! Calculus >-< I remember failing horibly at that back in school smile:p
That erosion thingy starts to look really nice smile:-)
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

You say "yuck" and "devil" to calculus because you clearly don't understand its purpose. It's a set of tools used by people around the world every day because numbers are powerful. You know that cool "erosion" sand-dune picture that you all like? That uses calculus. So do other filters of mine including my grass filter (which won me an Editor's Pick). And so does this new filter that calculates the normal (perpendicular) vector field to a grayscale map and then adds 3 controllable lights (this is NOT a surface filter!).

You wanted to learn Filter Forge. Will you let me learn math without ignorantly shooting it down? It actually bothers me to see people get disgusted by something I'm spending hours every day learning for my college degree, my career, and my own interest. I know you guys mean well, so I forgive you.

Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Nobody is trying to offend you, Indigo. If anything, I think we envy you for understanding math smile;)

I happen to be one of those unfortunate souls that just can't do 1+1 without a calculator. Believe me, I've tried.
In fact, I almost have a degree in math and computer science. Almost, because it was 85% math science, and only 15% computers. Coputers I can do. Math doesn't seem to agree with me. I got by for so long, up to the point it broke me... smile:cry:
It bothers me every single day that I suck at math, since the subjects that most interest me are computer graphics, electronics, physics, and nature photography. Apart from photography, they are all math heavy (For me at least... I can't even grasp Ohm's law smile:( ).

When we call math "The work of the devil", we don't mean YOU are the devil, or that you do the devil's work! We admire your ability to tame the beast. You're like being a lion tamer - we are all too terrified of the lion, you can stick your head in it's mouth! smile:D
  Details E-Mail
Cierra
cierracat
I, for one, am grateful that you understand calculus. I get to enjoy using your filters and without having to know how they work. They are magic, as far as I'm concerned. smile:)
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I am another of those that try to stay well away from maths as unfortunately I can only use them to multiply, divide and to add numbers, and none of the more complex maths things, and much less the ones involved in this graphics software maths that are really like chinese writings for me.

I REALLY ADMIRE MUCH THAT YOU CAN UNDERSTAND, LEARN AND USE THEM FOR YOUR WORK

I went to high school for computing but have to leave because of the algebraic math that I could not understand at all and so would not pass.

Most (if not all) of the lovely, awesome and beautiful complex geometric shapes and artistic geometrical art involves very complex maths and love that you CAN learn and use them and I congratulate you for this.
  Details E-Mail
Sharandra
Filter Forge Addict

I´m sorry Indigo, I didn´t mean to offend you smile:-( I have tried all my school years to learn Math, but my brain seems to lack the input for Math nodes smile;-) I admire ppl who are good at Math and use it to achieve awesome stuff. I also like your filters very much, just the other day I had a play with your beautiful grass.

Morgantao wrote:
When we call math "The work of the devil", we don't mean YOU are the devil, or that you do the devil's work! We admire your ability to tame the beast. You're like being a lion tamer - we are all too terrified of the lion, you can stick your head in it's mouth! smile:D

This.
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Thanks guys. As I said, I know you all mean well. Don't worry about learning complex mathematics, as long as you put in the effort to learn something else, like photography or computer programming or whatever. But at the same time, don't freak out about something you have trouble understanding but can't avoid. Either spend more time learning about it, or just trust someone else. In the mean time, I'll be your "mathemagician". smile:D

OK, here's the filter I just posted an example on. Now, you may not like the names of the controls smile;) so THETA = from what angle the light shines, PHI = whether the light source is up above or down to the side, and COLOR = the frequency of the electro-magnetic wave passing through a medium with an assumed index of refraction of 1 smile;)

Feel free to replace the input to the "add" component at the beginning with some other height map.

3 Lights.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

This is unbelievable smile8)

I guess the Theta and Phi are like the shadow effect in Photoshop, right?
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Not sure Morgan, but Theta = "azimuth" (think directions on a compass) and Phi = "altitude" (height above/below the horizon)

Now for something that uses very little correct math. I would submit this, but the filter is very "unversatile".

Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Who needs versatility? This looks cool as is.

I remember when I had a monitor thike this one. I always called it a "submarin window", it was so round smile:D
  Details E-Mail
Sharandra
Filter Forge Addict

The lights filter is nice, just having a play with it.
And the monitor looks interesting aswell. smile:-)
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

The majestic jaguar. (I'm making other patterns, too)

Details E-Mail
Sharandra
Filter Forge Addict

Ooh fur, nice! smile:-) Are you using bombers for that?
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Filters: 163
That fur is nice... Posting that one???
Steve

"Buzzards gotta eat...same as worms..." - Clint :)
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

More than one, Shar. The fur uses one bomber for color and a second almost-identical bomber for depth shading (the tip of each hair is more exposed to light than the base). In addition, the jaguar pattern itself uses a third bomber. You can expect render speeds to be on the slow side (~2 minutes for my quadcore i5). No promises about submitting or posting the filter. Another pic. Guess which animal this is... smile;)

Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Splat!

Details E-Mail
Sharandra
Filter Forge Addict

Oh cool, like the exploding pattern. smile:-) If you round of the edges of the leaky bits, it will look even better I think.
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

This is a mod of one of Uberzev's unsubmitted filters. Similar in appearance to this filter

Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

The online library is suffering from a lack of old factory windows. I see a disturbing amount of them pass by when I take the train.

This one takes an image input:

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Like much the Splat as it looks well done and cool, and also the good old factory windows that looks realistic and well done, and good lighting too.
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

In response to the hype about "flame painter", I imagined painting with fire...in filter forge. This uses Z-perlin (via Lua script), gradient (vector calc.), and one of Uberzev's unsubmitted filters (I provided it for you all somewhere on these forums). See how the condor becomes a phoenix.

Photo: http://godsrbored.blogspot.com/2011/1...skies.html

Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Ah, the joy of playing global domination games in isometric projection... smile8)

Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

It's fun to try to make photo-realistic textures in filter forge. It really gets you thinking about the minute structures of things, and what forces caused them to be shaped that way. As my teacher said, "you can't draw a flower unless you know a flower".

Anyway, here are two new carpet filters. The first is a simple cell noise base, overlaid with lots of micro-fibers a la bomber to give it a fuzzy feel.

Also, the watermark is my own mod of ThreeDee's europa sans font filter.

Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Here's the second filter. Perlin noise for fibers, cell noise puts the fiber in bundles, and more perlin noise for fuzziness. Ambient occlusion for light effects.

A texture-making tip: Within the filter editor, use a scale component to zoom in on the texture. This allows you to see the fine details. If you do this with a small image size, like 600x600, you can predict what a larger render will look like without having to wait a long time for the larger image to render.

Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Ooh, you know what, I'll share this monster with you all! It's a safari of different textures, not suited for library submission. But if you edit the filter, you can make it work for you. Caution: This filter carnivorously eats your CPU (it's slow).

Fur 3.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

The gallant zebra (using Skybase's reaction diffusion method!)

Details E-Mail
Sharandra
Filter Forge Addict

Awesome job on the fur, Indigo!. Looks great! smile:-)
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Filters: 101
Nah, that's a real zebra. I can recognize a photo when I see one smile:D
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Filters: 101
(Just my way of saying that looks really good.)
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Indigo Ray
The gallant zebra

ThreeDee
Nah, that's a real zebra. I can recognize a photo when I see one

I agree with ThreeDee this is too perfect and too realistic to be done in FF, I think also that is a photo of a real zebra. smile;) smile:D

If you want that I believe it you must tell how you have done it, I do not mean to share the filter, I mean to show some proof that is made in FF smile:D
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

A neat little FF exploit, and very fast to render.

Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

filter:

low-res.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

I waited for a long time... but it never rendered. smile:p
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Skybase, can you open this filter in the filter editor? If nothing renders, try disconnecting nodes. Remember, I'm running windows 7 and FF 3.014. Anyone else having a problem?
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

It was a joke smile:p your filter always will look like it never fully rendered smile:p
  Details E-Mail

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

17,443 Registered Users
+6 new last day!

121,277 Posts
+20 new last day!

11,146 Topics
+10 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

5 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter