Login - Create Account
Bookmark and Share

How to be able to share FILTER PRESETS in the forum of FF filters ?

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Filters: 33
Ghislaine wrote:
GF Spirograms v4 is uploaded. It was very hard to to make my choice for the variations. I had to delete 32 variations. I post some more images that you will not find in the previews but by playing with the settings, you will be able to create them.

I put all those images here because you will not see it as variations.

MOrgantao wrote:
If you want to, you can post all the presets you have here, so we can all add them to the filter once we download it... It involves a little bit of file editing, but nothing complicated.
If you want instructions, just say so, I'll explain the whole process.

WOW!! This is very good news and a great thing !!! If we could share the presets and do not keep depending on the 20 preset limit would be really a GREAT thing.

Please, Please, Please Morgantao explain the whole process to be able to do this.

This would be REALLY USEFUL and interesting and would be very good to be able to share the presets that do not fit in the 20 presets limit of the filter submission.

Thanks very much.

If any other than Morgantao ALSO knows a way to share presets in the forum, it will also be very welcomed too.
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Filters: 20
The presets are saved inside the filter XML file.
The author needs to open the filter in a text editor, and copy all the presets to a text file, or post it on the forum.
The users can then open their filter in a text editor, and paste all the presets inside the filter XML file.

The part of the filter to find and post on the forum (if you're the author), or replace (if your'e a user) is marked by the tag <Presets>.
Simply copy\replace EVERYTHING between <Presets> and </Presets> (including the tags).

Here's a sample of how it should look like:

Code

<Presets>
      <DefaultPreset preview_image="LIFESAVER_OPAQUE">
         <Settings size_factor="2" variation="12741" seamless="true" antialiasing="4" map_type="0" edges_only="true" clip_hdr_for_result="true"/>
          <Lighting>
            <Height value="0.59999999999999998"/>
            <Environment>
               <Source value="Forest"/>
               <Brightness value="1"/>
And so on and on. The more presets you have the longer this part is.
            <CheckboxControl id="checkboxcontrol 01">
               <Checked value="false"/>
            </CheckboxControl>
         </Controls>
      </Preset>
   </Presets>

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Thanks very much for this.

I will see how it works and how can I do it.
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Actually I was wrong... smile:|

I'll get back to you on the real way to do this. smile;)
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

OK, so I will wait to try it.

Why was it wrong?

Is it because these are the factory presets and not the user presets?

I think that the user and custom presets are stored outside of the filter in the "my presets" folder.
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

I think that the user and custom presets are stored outside of the filter in the "my presets" folder

Yep. That's where the rest of the presets are. Only the factory presets are kept inside the filter itself.

The first part of my how-to post is still correct. You need to back up your filter before submitting it, so you don't lose all but 20 presets.

Here's the different part:
After you submit your filter, you have to wait for it to go online. That's when your filter has a number id. Remember this number.
Now open your backup with all the presets in a text editor, and search for </DefaultPreset>. Right under it, you will see a <Preset preview_image=...> tag. Copy everything from this line, all the way down to the last </Preset> tag. You know it's the last </Preset> tag, because right under it there will be a line </Presets>.

Now create a new text file, and paste evrything in there. At the very beginning of the file add in those two lines:
Code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<MyPresets>

And at the very end of the file add this line:
Code
</MyPresets>

Save the file and call it Library_????.xml (only instead of ???? enter the filter id number).
This file you can now upload to the forum.

The user just needs to either:
1) Copy that file to his Filter Forge\My Presets folder, if he doesn't have any presets of his own yet, OR
2) Copy the content of the file and add it to his existing file. Only important thing is that those two lines above are at the very top, and </MyPresets> is at the very bottom.

NOTE: You will have duplicate presets. All the factory presets but the default preview will appear as user presets too (For example a filter with 20 factory presets will have 19 duplicates). All the user has to do is click the first of the duplicates, and Shift+click the last one, and delete all those duplicates.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I think that perhaps there is a easier way

HOW TO SEND THE PRESETS FROM YOUR FILTER THAT IS ALREADY IN YOUR FF LIBRARY

If you already have a filter from FF Library downloaded in your FF

1 - Open the filter you want in FF, look that it has your own presets and not only the factory ones

2 - Go to Filter-->Locate File

3 - Write down the number that appears after Library in the filename

4 - On the SAME window you have already open, go up to the "Filter Forge" main folder and you will see the "my presets" folder

5 - Open the "my presets" folder and search for the file that has the same number as the one you wrote down in step 3, make a copy of this to known easy to reach place.

6 - rename the file extension to .ffxml

An easy way to rename the file is to click on the file and select to EDIT the file and it will open in the notepad or your default software that you have assigned and then you ONLY have to save it again with the same name BUT putting the extension .ffxml

7 - Go to the FF forum and upload this file to the forum

NOTE: if you do not rename the file extension you will get this message

Incorrect file type or maximum size of the file exceeded (.xml)!

HOW TO PUT THE PRESET YOU DOWNLOAD FR OM THE FORUM IN YOUR OWN LIBRARY

After downloading the file rename the file back to the extension .xml and follow the instructions of Morgantao here

As above, to rename it back, you can edit it again, and save it again with the .xml extension

Morgantao Wrote:

The user just needs to either:

1) Copy that file to his Filter Forge\My Presets folder, if he doesn't have any presets of his own yet, OR

2) Copy the content of the file and add it to his existing file. Only important thing is that those two lines above are at the very top, and </MyPresets> is at the very bottom.

NOTE: You will have duplicate presets.

All the factory presets but the default preview will appear as user presets too (For example a filter with 20 factory presets will have 19 duplicates).

All the user has to do is click the first of the duplicates, and Shift+click the last one, and delete all those duplicates

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Here I put a test file with presets

It is from your own Ball Pit filter (the first one)

I have added two new presets to the 9 factory ones.

Please tell me if it works, AND I would like that you upload some presets of your own so I can test it myself.

Thanks

Library_10256.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Yours worked. I got 2 new presets.

I think that perhaps there is a easier way

That is only true if you want to share presets for a filter already on the online library.
If you're the author of a filter, and have more than 20 presets, then you have to do it the way I wrote before, since you still don't have the Library_XXXX.xml file in "my presets" folder. All the presets are still inside the FFXML file, and that's why you have to delete some before submitting.

Here's my Volumetric Explosion filter's presets.
Try and see if you can add it to your presets.

Library_10489.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Oh, one important thing, before you add the presets to your "My presets" library, make sure FF is NOT running.
If FF is running when you copy the new presets, they won't show up, and when you close FF they will be deleted. smile:evil:
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
SpaceRay wrote:
NOTE: if you do not rename the file extension you will get this message

We have added XML to the list of supported file types.
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Thank you! smile:)
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

GMM wrote:
We have added XML to the list of supported file types.

Thanks GMM for allowing to upload XML files to the forum.

Morgantao wrote:
Here's my Volumetric Explosion filter's presets.
Try and see if you can add it to your presets.

YES!! It worked.

It was very easy,
I downloaded your file,
renamed to .xml,
opened filter forge and and selected any filter and selected Filter ---> Local File,
then closed FF and copied your file to the "my presets" folder,
and then opened it again and selected your Volumetric filter
and there appeared 20 brand new and shiny user presets !!! smile:) smile:ff:

Thanks very much for this GREAT and well done presets you have made here, they look wonderful and expands much the usefulness of this great filter

Also thanks for remembering me about THIS FILTER from you I have forgot I had it and and have not tried to use it.

I hope that with the new FFCat I will not keep forgeting about the filters I have smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

There's another reminder coming your way smile:D
I've updated both Volumetric Explosions and Busted Tiles Double Image.
The updates should be in the library soon.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Good news Morgantao, Thanks.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Morgantao wrote:
The presets are saved inside the filter XML file.

The author needs to open the filter in a text editor, and copy all the presets to a text file, or post it on the forum.

The users can then open their filter in a text editor, and paste all the presets inside the filter XML file.

The part of the filter to find and post on the forum (if you're the author), or replace (if your'e a user) is marked by the tag <Presets>.

Simply copy\replace EVERYTHING between <Presets> and </Presets> (including the tags).

If I have understood this well THIS is for when you have made your own filter and you made the presets BEFORE making the filter available in the FF library, so obviously you canĀ“t have a "my presets" file.

So here I have copied all the part of the presets I have made inside of uberBlend [STAR 3].ffxml that is available in this direct link

Then I have pasted this in a text file and I upload for you here to try. There are 5 new presets I have made.

And I think that now you should take this text of the presets I have attached here and copy all of this INSIDE of the original uberBlend [STAR 3].ffxml file in the same place that the presets should be.

[ uberblend Star 3 presets.txt ]
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

THREE DIFFERENT KIND OF PRESETS

1 - Custom Presets that you add to a filter that is already in your own FF library.

In this case the added presets generates a new file in the "my presets" filter that you can share with someone that have the same filter

2 - Custom Presets that you add to a filter that you have in the "my filters" folder AND that you are going to submit to the FF library, BUT that has more than 20 presets, so you need to make a copy of this filter, so you do not loose the excess of the 20 presets.

In this case the presets are store INSIDE the filter in the same XML file in the parts marked between the tags <Presets>

3 - Same as number 2 BUT from a filter that has NOT been published in the FF library and is not going to be published BUT is available in the forum.
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

SpaceRay, your text file works as advertised smile;)
I have 5 new presets, 2 "rings", one long spiral, and 2 shorter spirals.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Good news Morgantao, great that it works !!!!
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

16,809 Registered Users
+7 new last day!

118,859 Posts
+11 new last day!

10,826 Topics
+12 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

86 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter