Login - Create Account
Bookmark and Share

Red fringing

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
Tsu Dho Nimh
Bottom-Feeding Filter Scavenger
With some filters, such as the barbed wire and lace filters, I am getting red fringing around what should be a black image. It shows up late in the process, and persists when I save the image.

Is this:
1 - Inherent in the way the filters are creating the images

2 - Because I'm using VMWare and Win2000 under Linux?

3 - Because my graphics card sucks?
  Details E-Mail
KGtheway2B
KGtheway2B

Filters: 34
1 probably

2 maybe

3 not a chance (unless it's simply displaying the picture wrong)

Which filters exactly- any links/example pics?
  Details E-Mail
Tsu Dho Nimh
So far, seen it on these. I'm using them to make decorative braid for clothing, black or shades of black/grey on transparent.

http://www.filterforge.com/filters/5113.html (ribbons and wires)
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/4050.html (chain or scroll)

My workaround is to convert them to greyscale, but I lose some of the richness and shine.
  Details E-Mail
KGtheway2B
KGtheway2B

Filters: 34
Ok so I put this onto a black background. (I'm assuming this is analogous to what you're doing?) Take a look below. I don't see any red haze, but if you still see it then it's probably your graphics card/monitor.

There's nothing out of the ordinary in the filter, so It doesn't look like it's an issue yet.

Details E-Mail
Tsu Dho Nimh
It's a problem when I have dark components and a transparent background, such as this black filagree pattern. I forgot to write down which filter I was using for this, but the fringing happens late in the rendering, which makes me think it's a sharpen or blur.

Details E-Mail
Apple

Filters: 35
Maybe it has something to do with the set alpha component, the source color is red by default. So you can have a red shape onto a transparent background.

Or maybe it has something to do with the color on the first layer of the multiblend component with a transparent background input.

Not sure if I'm thinking in the right direction here though.
May The Forge Be With You
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

Filters: 97
is this a surface type filter or a simple? if it's a surface type, try changing the surface color to white.

also, what happens if anti-aliasing is turned off?
If wishes were horses... there'd be a whole lot of horse crap to clean up!

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Tsu Dho Nimh
what happens if anti-aliasing is turned off?

Give the man a smile:beer: !!!!! Turning off anti-aliasing gets rid of the fringes.

Thank you!
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

interesting.

so, is this a surface type filter or a simple?

and when's the last time you updated your video card drivers?

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Tsu Dho Nimh

How do you tell if it's surface or simple? (noob, I'm just a noob)

And the drivers were updated in October, but because I'm running FF on Windows 2000 through a VMWare session on Linux ... that might not make a difference.
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

in the main GUI, on the left where the presets and controls are, just above there there are either three or four tabs. if three they will say 'presets', 'settings' and 'about'. if four they will say 'presets', 'settings', 'lighting' and 'about'. if it has the four it's a surface type. if it only has three then it's a simple.

win 2k on linux thru vmware... now that's about as strange as it gets. no clue how that might affect your vid card. but, if when you turn off the anti-aliasing the fringe goes away, i would ask what type of machine are you running all this on and what type of video card and are you running directx 9.0c or some earlier version? and is your video card compatible with the new shader technology and such?

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Tsu Dho Nimh
It's pretty strange, but the alternatives would be running Windows smile:puke: or not using FF at all smile:cry:

The VMware virtual machine does not take full advantage of the video card's ability - that's well known. It's getting better with each release of the client, but there are glitches with some of the advanced capabilities.
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

The VMware virtual machine does not take full advantage of the video card's ability

i think that's your answer right there.

Craig
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

16,817 Registered Users
+5 new last day!

118,882 Posts
+16 new last day!

10,831 Topics
+12 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

12 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter