Login - Create Account
Bookmark and Share

LAB#3015 Skybase

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...  21 >>

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
Kraellin
Kraellin

Filters: 97
ah. ok, so it's not a swedish girl with a missspelled name.
If wishes were horses... there'd be a whole lot of horse crap to clean up!

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Filters: 67
Those look heavily affected, is there an "Effect" slider that tones it down (the whole effect)?

Exclamation

Better yet, you should make a time line slider. 1960-2010. Cool

Yeah, Dry - Wet slider! Though I kinda had a guilty feeling that it defies the purpose of what the filter is supposed to do. Oh well, might as well add it in cuase yeah it does get a bit too much sometimes for some pictures.

In fact, the problem I have with adding a slider like that is that Holga actually does take images like the ones above. And they can go from something light to something extreme.

Examples of Holga images

Lo-fi is actually an ascetic than a problematic over-kill effect.
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

it always amazes me what makes it as a fad. lol. and a plastic lens? omg!

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

While scratching my head on the Polaroid filter, I encountered another problem with another filter!

Countries filter. That generator that made maps every time you press variation. Oh wait no.

Here's what was happening with Countries.

1. Every time you pressed the randomize button you got ugly results.
2. It didn't look cool enough.
3. It was cleaver, but it was slow. Damn slow. TOO SLOW.

Just as an example, here's what Countries version 1 looks like when you randomize it.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Oh man that was terrifying. Even pressing that random button scares me when I use my own filter. I mean here's a rule: "Make sure it's Randomizer Button Safe." Probably just call it RBS* or NVBS (Next Variation Button Safe.)

Aside from joking around on the forums, I got to serious work. I basically remade the whole filter again and made sure this time, that it was NVBS. Hey the results are much more delightful.

Solves problems mentioned:
1. Good results per next variation. Yes it's totally NVBS.
2. It looks BETTER. Aside from the technical aspects, the filter significantly improves the look and feel. Looks rather artistic.
3. And it's 3 times faster!

Some testing results with 600X600 defaults (core2duo 2.6GHz mac)
Countries Version 1: 1min 3seconds
Countries Version 2: 17 seconds. <---- YAY

*Not Royal Bank of Scotland

So how does it look? Well here's a capture! It's quite the same... but actually very different.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Some of the options in version 1 are currently gone. Just because I thought I didn't need them for now. I'll put them back in later.

I remember seeing a request for forest lands, tiny waves, and tons of other things. I'll start adding those in as soon as I get other things out of my way. Forest lands? Oh boy. I hope I can do that smile:) No problem. I'll figure ways out.

The image below was rendered at 6000X4000. I can make big posters so my buddies can draw on them.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

And... another image smile:)

Yup. I'll totally upload this filter as soon as I add and make poster sized renders.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Just for the heck of it.

Because the images I rendered are 6000X4000 px, I can zoom in quite a lot and get crisp outlines. Here's what the image above looks like zoomed in to 100%. Note the extremely fine details.

Additional fun I'm having:
1. Making a 1920X1200 desktop so I can place my icons on the countries.
2. Planning to play RISK with friends (to see if this even works)
3. Making road trips to imaginary places
4. Writing stories based on these fictional places.

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

those are kinda cool. can you adjust the various regions to specific colors?

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Unfortunately errr not really. I mean, if you are going for a map with 3 or 4 countries labeled with similar colors, I can totally do that. But I made it so that it uses a noise component to throw in lots of other interesting hues. It's why you get that specific effect.

Hm of that sort of feature can be compensated with the use of Photoshop.
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

ok. thanks smile:)

Craig
  Details E-Mail
BenBeckwith
Filters: 8
This is quite late... but I love the the style of the Color Stamp images, that's an awesome filter! The lifesaver image doesn't do it justice. I also really like the FF Nebula, it looks very ghostly and spooky! smile:eek:
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Back to the Toy Cameras! Simulate vintage style pictures!
Now a bit of update on this. I haven't released this because I was considering adding light leaks into the filter. Happens when your camera has a crack in the body where the light peeks into the camera and says "hi, we're going to destroy your pictures." Andi t leaves a big red stain-like edge around the pictures you develop. Though sometimes this can be to the advantage of an artist. smile:) Imperfection is just great in Photography.

Couple issues:
I get easily stuck with this because gradients in Filter Forge are seamless where I don't want them to be seamless at all! Seriously. This is where Filter Forge actually becomes difficult for wide / tall images.

Anyway, I think I got some decent results.

Note that these effects are deployed at MAXIUMUM. You can control the amounts in the interface! Just needs some more work.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

And this picture below is for BenBeckwith. smile:D

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

back in the 60's, i think it was, polaroid came out with a cheap version of the polaroid land camera. it was housed in solid white plastic and outputted a photo much like the originals, but might have been slightly smaller and had an extra triangular tab on the bottom of each photo for pulling the photo out of the camera. once out, you let it sit for x number of minutes to finish developing and then you wiped on this fixer stuff with a pad that came with the film. the fixer came with the film, also. it wasnt the best in the world. the fixer tended to streak a bit and smelled somewhat similar to carbon tetrachloride...sort of. it was a strong smell.

i forget what the cameras sold for. and, they didnt fold up like the original land cameras, either. they were cheap, plastic and i had one for a while smile:)

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

I've been entertaining myself while I was working on other things. Here's something I made some time ago.

This filter grabs your image and turns it into strips of color. Looks useful if you want to extract gradients or make color swatches based on something generic.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Can also be 90 Degrees

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Such a simple thing....

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Hours of abstract things

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Thank you Betis!!!! http://www.filterforge.com/filters/7437.html

The mapped blur component by becomes pretty fun when you got things like this going on.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Added with the color bending tools... oh boy its so fun.

Details E-Mail
Betis
The Blacksmith

Filters: 75
Ah! They look good! The Mapped Blur was simple to use, right? I also like the abstract gradient ones, can you post that so I can have a look?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base are belong to you.
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Betis, while its not that hard to use, when you increase the size of the area that you assume it's supposed to be "large" it actually makes that area blurry. So for example, if I have a big white circle using the frame, the central area gets affected by the blur too.

Been trying to fix it, but it looks like how the profile gradient is ordered.

Still, useful! smile:D
  Details E-Mail
Betis
The Blacksmith

Can you post an example? Or post the filter with the input?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Alright here's what happens

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

And this is the map

Details E-Mail
Betis
The Blacksmith

I think I know what's going on, it's a thing with FF when something is on the border of 100% White and 100% Black, I know how to fix it, thanks for showing me. smile:D smile;)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
  Details E-Mail
Betis
The Blacksmith

Fixed, update in queue.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Fixed, update in queue.

How did you fix it? :o
  Details E-Mail
Betis
The Blacksmith

All the Curve Repeat components had numbers like 8, 4, 2... and so I changed them all to 7.999999999, 3.99999999999, 1.9999999999; and on FF, it shows the rounded number still as 8, 4, or 2, but you will see that the result shows otherwise. If you look at the first Tone Curved map with the 8x Linear Repeat, it used to show the middle circle, that you wanted unaffected, white (where the process makes white blurry), and also the edge where it was black, so obviously these are going to be treated the same. With the fix it shows the middle circle black, and outputs as such. smile:)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
  Details E-Mail
Carl
c r v a

Skybase wrote:
Added with the color bending tools... oh boy its so fun.

Nice filter Betis and the samples looks good, the city especially, tilt photography is cool you may like this filter Skybase as well Tilt Filter
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Hello Carl,

Actually I already had it but its a little too simple for me. Can be totally better. Quite honestly I've been wanting that gradual increase in the blur radius, not just a flat blend. Also has problems with some other things. smile;) That's my filter critique. Bet what Betis made is totally better and honestly higher quality.
  Details E-Mail
Carl
c r v a

I wasn't really valuing the quality so much as pointing out a filter of interest smile:) Betis makes some quality filters, Galaxy Explore is quite beautiful, so I'm sure your critique is sound smile;) smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Country Generator 2 has been quite successful but Lab#3015 does not stop there to think about it. The filter was fast enough for other useless features! Like this one!

Roads?

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

More roads. While this feature will not be included in the official Country Generator I think it'll be just trivial.

Just to let you know, the roads follow the mapping of the landscape. There are some "coast line" followers although this one's a terrible example of it. Honestly difficult to make it convincing.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

There are some powerful capitals in some of the countries!
I'll start planning a procedural road trip smile:D

Note: once again, this is a useless, trivial feature. It will NOT be included in the library. It's just simply not a practical thing.

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

might wanna use those 'roads' as veins somewhere smile;)

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Oh my Moss!
This filter takes your image... and adds moss. Figuring how to make it NOT crawl up into the sky lol.

Details E-Mail
Betis
The Blacksmith

Skies are usually a very smooth color, so if you blur the image (although I hate blurring as well) and it is low difference to the original (it will show you out of focus or smooth colors), have it not apply.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
  Details E-Mail
Carl
c r v a

cool ............... if you can make it do dirt, grime, rust etc, you know a variety, that would be be a very cool filter smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

A couple better examples since the last time...

First the original image.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Now.... the processed

I'm starting to guess that images make moods, which hence make the difference when applying this filter.

Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

I'm having trouble figuring how to make it light exactly the way it looks in the photograph. In this case, I'm trying different blend modes smile:)

Details E-Mail
Betis
The Blacksmith

I say take the brightness from the image (HSB) and apply it via multiply to the moss, you find out the opacity.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Works well Betis, now for tweaking. Thanks smile:D
  Details E-Mail

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...  21 >>

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

17,317 Registered Users
+35 new in 7 days!

120,833 Posts
+22 new last day!

11,082 Topics
+16 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

23 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter