Bookmark and Share

Noise Lab

<< 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...  13 >>

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
Kraellin
Kraellin

Filters: 97
i thought this one was kinda cool.

If wishes were horses... there'd be a whole lot of horse crap to clean up!

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

and this one is somewhat unique.

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

and i thought i'd try some bright ocean surfaces, also.

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Sphinx.
Filter Optimizer

Filters: 38
four components all in all, perlin is the base and it is at zero roughness and details.. can you figure it out? smile;) (note that this one definitely exceeds the limits of good practice, and no..there's no blur, hint hint)

Njyldgarkn sample cache!
  Details E-Mail
Crapadilla
lvl 52 Filter Weaver and Official "Filter Forge Seer"

Filters: 59
My guess would be that it's a perlin, an offset and two profile gradients. smile;)
--- Crapadilla says: "Damn you, stupid redundant feature requests!" ;)
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Filters: 163
Good one..... My guess is that it is two perlins and two offsets.....

Do I win??? smile;) smile:D LOL.....
Steve

"Buzzards gotta eat...same as worms..." - Clint :)
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

perlin, offset, prof grad, blend.

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Crapadilla

StevieJ wrote:
Do I win??? Wink Big grin LOL.....

Aight!

Your prize: Sphinx will thoroughly optimize the crap out of your buffers! smile;) smile:dgrin:
  Details E-Mail
Sphinx.
Filter Optimizer

Crapadilla wrote:
Your prize: Sphinx will thoroughly optimize the crap out of your buffers!

LOL! (im scared now)

Well, the perlin was free .. and yep there's an offset, and a blend.. but what is the last? (no gradients, frames, tiles or similar) hint: its in the adjustment category
Njyldgarkn sample cache!
  Details E-Mail
Carl
c r v a

Filters: 74
It would be Levels or threshold cause a couple of others need curves - so I'll go with levels smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Sphinx.
Filter Optimizer

Carl wrote:
t would be Levels or threshold cause a couple of others need curves - so I'll go with levels

Nopes.. but it maybe be used, but its not the case. We have perlin, offset, blend and the last?
Njyldgarkn sample cache!
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

It's a trick question.....Sphinx said it had four components "in all" smile;) smile:D

Okay......it has to be something that regenerates.....so my next guess is refraction......
Crapadilla wrote:
Sphinx will thoroughly optimize the crap out of your buffers!

No one touches my buffers......because even the slightest change would bring my computer down like a house of cards..... smile:| ...... smile;) smile:D
Steve

Details E-Mail
Sphinx.
Filter Optimizer

StevieJ wrote:
No one touches my buffers......because even the slightest change would bring my computer down like a house of cards..... ......

No worries.. though Crocodylinae (via Faeces?) proposes "thoroughly optimized crap out of your buffers", I'll stay try to stay sober (LOL!)(though I've achieved Perlin controlled Refraction sight and more or less Offset footsteps ATM.)

Btw, the only real guess ought to be backed up by an example (I'll check in the filter tomorrow.. but its an excellent example of bad practice.. don't say you were not warned smile;) )

Yabtw, Crapadilla, that liquid like metal splatter on red bg (prev. page)... is that one of yours? is it going to be released? - Looks very interesting..
Njyldgarkn sample cache!
  Details E-Mail
Crapadilla

Sphinx. wrote:
No worries.. though Crocodylinae (via Faeces?) proposes "thoroughly optimized crap out of your buffers", I'll stay try to stay sober (LOL!)(though I've achieved Perlin controlled Refraction sight and more or less Offset footsteps ATM.)

Now I am scared! smile:|
  Details E-Mail
Sphinx.
Filter Optimizer

Crapadilla wrote:
Now I am scared!

Sorry, got a little carried away with the smile:beer: last night smile;)

Here's the lead preset for that weird filter (Called "Least Significant Bits") - I'm really curious to see if it will look the same rendered from the FF server, as the method is quite unconventional (btw. this one uses a few more components to extract the noise in a different way, but one mode of the filter is still only 4 components):

Njyldgarkn sample cache!
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

Sphinx. wrote:
Yabtw, Crapadilla, that liquid like metal splatter on red bg (prev. page)... is that one of yours? is it going to be released? - Looks very interesting..

actually, that's mine. and it got lost for a bit. i went looking for it again last night and finally found it. my numbering system for filters goes 1, 1a, 1b, 1c, etc. but sometimes i go back to an earlier filter and work on it instead of carrying on. when i do that, a filter then becomes 1b1, 1b1a, 1b1b and so on. and that's all fine and well, but sometimes i also start moving filters out of 'my filters' when i get too many of the same one there. i do that in windows explorer. i had forgotten to look for those branch lines of filters and just moved out a whole block. the red and metal splats ones got moved out. that's why i couldnt find it when dilla asked me about it again. lol. so, i went through EVERY single filter and preset last night looking for this thing and couldnt find it. it finally dawned on me that i had moved it to a copy folder. duh!

the name of the filter is 'mars lander'. it started out as a sort of alien planet surface effect type filter and also a noise experiment due to this thread. and no, i dont have any plans to release it any time soon. it's a VERY undisciplined filter at the moment, plus i've not been releasing very many filters till i see what vlad is going to do with the new EULA, if there is going to be one.

Craig
  Details E-Mail
ssamm
Filters: 21
Hey, Sphinx, I couldn't figure out that four-component filter -- but I'd love to see how you did it. Could you attach a file? Or maybe wait a while, so others can try to figure it out, but I'd still like to see it. smile:)

Details E-Mail
Sphinx.
Filter Optimizer

ssamm wrote:
Hey, Sphinx, I couldn't figure out that four-component filter -- but I'd love to see how you did it. Could you attach a file? Or maybe wait a while, so others can try to figure it out, but I'd still like to see it.

I submitted the filter yesterday.. so it should in today. As said there are few additional components in that one, but there is a switch which hooks up the four component chain..

Edit:

Here's the filter
Njyldgarkn sample cache!
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

made with six perlins and a curve. not sure what exactly it is, but it's... well, you figure it out smile:)

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

and here's another, same filter:

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Carl
c r v a

I like the realism of the last one even though I don't know what it realistic of smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

hehe, yeah, i dont know either smile:) melted chrome?

Craig
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Craig, that last one looks really neat!!! smile8)

Okay, can I play too??? smile:D

Steve

Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Steve

Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Steve

Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Steve

Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Steve

Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Steve

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

thanks, steve smile:)

yeah, jump right in. that first one could be snow, sort of milk, or something white that was wet and hardened a bit.

the second one you could call frozen corrosion. the third also has a bit of a corrosive look, too. and, i like the fourth, too, but not quite sure what to call it; sort of a techo tree bark. and five is reminiscent of one but a bit more crusty and dry. six seems to change the effect based on what surface it's on. that's a bit unusual.

i like em all. are they all from the same filter?

Craig
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Yeah, they are all from the same filter.....sort of a noise blend generator that I threw together to do some mad scientist experimentation....... smile;) smile:)

I'm kinda liking #4 and #6 for some further pursuit.....
Steve

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

hehe, it figures... i'm partial to one and five smile:D

Craig
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Well, it wouldn't be much fun if we agreed on everything all the time, eh??? smile;) smile:D

I think we agree that this is an interesting area with alot more to be discovered.....and bombers will make it even more interesting..... smile;) smile:)
Steve

Details E-Mail
Carl
c r v a

These look good
StevieJ wrote:
I'm kinda liking #4 and #6 for some further pursuit.....
Steve

1 is good too smile;)
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

yup, diversity is the spice of life smile:)

Craig
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Carl wrote:
1 is good too

You're just saing that because Craig likes it..... smile:dgrin: J/K.... LOL....
Steve

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

no, actually i paid him to say that smile;)

ok, just to tease dilla and sort of as a lark, i threw in a couple of kaleidoscopes to this 6 perlin filter. i was pleased smile:)

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Carl
c r v a

Cool, the colouring great to smile:) maybe we should change the thread to Kalidescope noise filter while Dillas not around smile:dgrin:
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Nice!!! I like the glass in that one, Craig!!! smile:) smile:) smile:)
Steve

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

thanks, carl smile:) actually, i was thinking of starting a 'kaleidoscope lab' thread smile;)

thanks, steve, thought you might like that smile:) i've been pushing it more and more in that direction lately, glass.

ok, since i spilled the beans in another thread already, i'll say this here, too. this filter is an offshoot of ahimsa's 'pitted stone' filter. it's been re-worked quite a bit with some additions and deletions and different connections, but that's where this one started.

Craig
  Details E-Mail
ahimsa

Filters: 41
Steve, I want that filter!

Craig, Mars lander still has a pitted stone look, but the rest I would never have guessed started out there. Your kaliedescope thread would definately get visited by me. Do it smile:D
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

ahimsa wrote:
Steve, I want that filter!

I didn't do it.....it's Craig's work.... smile;) smile:)
Steve

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

yes, dilla got me playing with noises. mars lander was from scratch, though. the later ones i mentioned using 6 perlins were all from a modded 'pitted stone'. and just yesterday i added two kaleidoscopes to it for the patterns.

and as for the 'kaleidoscope lab', well, i'm kinda pulling dilla's leg on that one smile;) but, it might be fun. have you ever done a sequence of kaleid's, all in row, each modding the last one? that can get pretty weird. and on the modded pitted stone, i added two kaleids, one for the surface and one for height to keep it consistent.

Craig
  Details E-Mail
ahimsa

StevieJ wrote:
Yeah, they are all from the same filter.....sort of a noise blend generator that I threw together to do some mad scientist experimentation.......

StevieJ wrote:
I didn't do it.....it's Craig's work....

smile:?:
  Details E-Mail
ahimsa

yes, dilla got me playing with noises. mars lander was from scratch, though. the later ones i mentioned using 6 perlins were all from a modded 'pitted stone'. and just yesterday i added two kaleidoscopes to it for the patterns.

and as for the 'kaleidoscope lab', well, i'm kinda pulling dilla's leg on that one but, it might be fun. have you ever done a sequence of kaleid's, all in row, each modding the last one? that can get pretty weird. and on the modded pitted stone, i added two kaleids, one for the surface and one for height to keep it consistent.

Weird, Mars is the only one that looks like pitted stone and it's not and the rest don't look like they could ever have come from pitted stone. smile:D

Yep, I do two and three kaliedscopes in a row for many of my filters. I like the results better than with just one.
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

yeah, mars was a result of noise experiments. i hit upon one look and took that made a new filter of it. using lots of perlins tends to give you rock/stone/sand no matter what you do with it... tends to. so, a lot of the noise filters you see in this thread are that way. i wanted to break that mold. and when i started playing with pitted stone on a whim, i first removed the cells component and replaced it with another perlin, and i think i also changed the curves type you had to another. then i reworked a number of the lines going from place to place. when i started getting that glossy, polished look, i then started trying to get more of that and even more towards a glass look. that last image is the result. it will still do a little of the dirt/stone look, but i'm gradually weeding that part of it out.

btw, you could remove the cells from your pitted stone and not lose a thing. just replace it with a perlin having the same look. it will run a bit faster that way.

ah, good on the kaleids in a row. i thought i was the only 'nut' that did that smile:)

Craig
  Details E-Mail

<< 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...  13 >>

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

16,844 Registered Users
+32 new in 7 days!

118,955 Posts
+20 new last day!

10,844 Topics
+5 new last day!

Online Users Last minute:

7 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter