Login - Create Account
Bookmark and Share

Simple Batch Rendering

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
Crapadilla
lvl 52 Filter Weaver and Official "Filter Forge Seer"

Filters: 59
I know the topic of animation has been touched here and there in feature requests (and the FF team is probably weary reading it), but since I view this as my personal most wanted feature of all time, I am going to request it again here: A simple batch rendering capability with rudimentary keyframing within Filter Forge.

onyXMaster wrote elsewhere:
Batch processor is certainly possible (even for frames of different sizes).

Now this doesn't have to bloat FF up into a full-blown animation package. Rather, it could be very simple: Give us an interface that asks for an output path, the number of frames to be rendered and allow two values to be entered there for each control of the filter, one value for the first and one value for the last frame. Then do a simple linear interpolation of the values for all frames inbetween at rendertime. And be sure to output the rendermaps as well.

I am quite sure this would make many animators and compositors/VFX guys VERY happy, who wouldn't have to hold their breath for a compositing package plugin anymore, and it should be rather simple to implement...

smile:dgrin:
--- Crapadilla says: "Damn you, stupid redundant feature requests!" ;)
  Details E-Mail
Igor Lorents
Filter Forge, Inc.
Actually, we do have an internal command-line render utility. Not sure our QA dept has ever seen it smile:D but it works pretty well while it is in the debug environment smile:D

Anyway, it doesn't have any interface to provide ranges for controls' values, nor rules to control interpolation within that range. And I'm not sure it will ever have features like that. And of course no key-frames.
  Details E-Mail
Crapadilla
lvl 52 Filter Weaver and Official "Filter Forge Seer"

Filters: 59
Hey, I'd even be using some external hack if it saved me from having to setup and render each frame manually. FF is just too sweet in too many ways to not use it in animation. And there's nothing like hitting 'Batch Render' and calling it a night...

smile:dgrin:
--- Crapadilla says: "Damn you, stupid redundant feature requests!" ;)
  Details E-Mail
timetourist

hey crapadilla its wierd reading your own toughts written by someone else months earlier smile:D

...last night i was thinking this exact same funktionality & interface. exept i would have called it "sequence rendering" and instead of "linear interpolation" would have written something like "those curve control thingys"
...hehee

to a person who dont know nothing about coding software this would seem like a simple thing to add compared to the effect it would have in sales. it would look so damn good right there on the "key features" list.

is this in reality a ridiculous ammount of work and not gonna happen... or should we keep this dream alive?? smile;)
  Details E-Mail
uglyboys
Uglyboys
Filters: 79
try it inside photoshop for batch rendering.
I usually do it.
but it involves single setting only
saurabh.gayali@gmail.com
  Details E-Mail
Equator
Crapadilla, exellent proposition!
But, first of all, batch rendering must be in GUI-mode, not 'command line'.
In command line mode this will be very inconveniently.
  Details E-Mail
uglyboys
Uglyboys
I have been using rendering sequence of pics in an animation via photoshop batch.
but now i got a new problem. I want to render all images used as texture for my 3d project.
But i have to render every texture manually as they are different filters or different presets at least. I learner to group them (only 1 fav folder for this). BUt i found no tool for batch rendering all filters in my fav folder or at least with option to select the filters and presets u want to render. It would be a great tool. Even if every filter is rendered at same pixels (again option to choose pixel for each render will be great) and obviously it will be great to have it in GUI.

Moreover i may render each texture individually but the problem is Filterforge has no notification sound at the end of rendering which will be again a useful feature or else we need to spend all time in front of monitors to see it rendering or keep guessing its done or not.
saurabh.gayali@gmail.com
  Details E-Mail
uglyboys
Uglyboys
And it will be great if FF cud render all maps of a 3d filter instead of rendering singles. I need to render each map seperately. 1 for difuse, 1 for bump and so on
saurabh.gayali@gmail.com
  Details E-Mail
Equator
very actual topic!
  Details E-Mail
mwoods
Filters: 1
I keep getting emails asking me to upgrade to Filter Forge 3.0.
I look at the feature list, and there is nothing new that I really want or need.
I would upgrade in a heartbeat if it had better animation capability.
I have used the photoshop batch, but its clunky, and doesn't give me all the controls I want.

My preference would be an Adobe After Effects plugin that would let me keyframe the control properties of the filter.
I read at one point that the FF team was looking into doing this, and was hoping to see it in FF3.
I work in motion graphics, use AE all the time, and would happy to be on a beta test team for it.
I would kill for a Filter Forge AE plugin.

-Matt
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Filters: 33
smile:D Animation inside Filter Forge ???? smile:?: FF plugin for AE ? smile:?:

Are you really serious asking for this knowing what FF Inc. can do ?

I have a very good answer for this taking a quote form a very good answer given by Morgantao in this thread here

Morgantao wrote: (well, I have modified it to be adapted to this thread)
Sorry mwoods, that option is to be implemented in FF 136 (Coming out September 2214).
Untill then there's nothing you can do to have any kind of animation inside filter Forge
smile:D

If you will ONLY upgrade to a new version of FF until it gets animation, well please take a sit and wait for it, although I think that most probably we wil find you like in the future like the image shown below after waiting for it smile:D smile:D

The only possible solution for you now is to get the Genetica software, altough if you need animation, it is very expensive to buy unless you get a 50% discount that happen sometimes. Now in this moment they are having a 30% discount, although the real price is 899$
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Filters: 20
smile:D Nice adaption SpaceRay smile:D
  Details E-Mail
mwoods
Filters: 1
I'm not saying I will only upgrade if FF gets animation. I'm saying in a tight economy we have to choose what software to buy/upgrade. My primary job is motion graphics. Better animation support (particularly AE support) would transform Filter Forge from a neat tool that I use only occasionally because its cumbersome and doesn't fit into my workflow to a major tool that I would use frequently. I am more likely to upgrade a major tool I use frequently.

I feel like its important to add my vote to a thread requesting this feature.

Also, AE support has been talked about by the moderators before.
Back in 2006, Bella wrote that AE support was part of the long term plan in this thread here

The other thing that might get me to upgrade would be under the hood algorithm improvements that speed up filter rendering time.
Neither of these things are listed as features in the current update, thus I feel no pressing need to upgrade.

Cheers,

-Matt
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

mwoods wrote:
Also, AE support has been talked about by the moderators before.
Back in 2006, Bella wrote that AE support was part of the long term plan

There asre many things that have been said and promised in the forums since 2006 and many of them are still in development to be implemented in a possible future version that is not yet know when will it be.

The key words are "LONG TERM PLAN", this means it could be next year, or in 5 or 10 years from now, or in 2214 smile:D

mwoods wrote:
I feel like its important to add my vote to a thread requesting this feature.

Of course that you are free to add your vote and make you wishlist and request for the features you want and need for FF, but this remains like that, a feature wishlist until there some news from FF that it will SURELY be included in a next version, and is not valid if they say that they will think about it, until tehy see that this is possible and doable.
  Details E-Mail
MachinesInMotion
Filters: 20
Until this is officially added, I hacked something together Here. I hope that helps. There's no keyframing, but it is an easier alternative to ffbatch for running filter forge over a large set of files.
  Details E-Mail
rilos
rilos
Filters: 9
I agree and want to push for a small batch rendering utility!

It could be as simple as a list of filter names (numers) and preset value.
Adittionaly output size shouldd be adjustable.

that would be so great and cannot be very difficult, can it?

Thanks!
regards, rilos
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

rilos

I agree and want to push for a small batch rendering utility!

Yes, it would be good to have a utility or whatever way that could have a GUI instead of a simple command line as it is available now and that is updated and made with all the available components of FF 4.0.

MachinesInMotion

Until this is officially added, I hacked something together Here.

Thanks for sharing it with the forum, and it looks good, but regretably I am bad using command line applications, and try to avoid it, and would like much better any GUI based one and that could work well and be updated to be used with FF 3.0 or FF 4.0 as the others available seen in this other thread here does not work right, at least the windows versions

Also your good Batch rendering wrapper is only for batch rendering one image or a folder with just one filter and one preset.

I have suggested before the following

WHAT WOULD BE GOOD TO BE ABLE TO DO AS BATCH PROCESSING IN FILTER FORGE

For example I have one single image and want to:

* be able to select a group of filters ( for example 20 filters) and apply all of them to this same image, also it would be needed to be able to choose which one of the filters preset will be applied, so the result will 20 images.

* be able to select a group of filters (for example 5) and a group of presets of these filters (for example 20 filters and choose 3 presets of each filter) and apply them all to this same image, so the result will be 100 images.

* be able to select a group of filters and a different amount of presets fr om each filter, perhaps 2 presets fr om filter 1, 4 presets fr om filter 2, 1 preset fr om filter 3, etc. and apply all of them to the same single image so you will have lots of different versions of the same image with different filters and presets.

For example I have 40 images in a folder and want to:

* be able to apply the same filter and same preset to all the 40 images. Result 40 images

* be able to apply a group of filters, with one preset each one, to all the 40 images. Result 40 images

* be able to select a group of filters (for example 5) and a group of 3 presets to each, and so you will get as result 600 images.

* Be able to select (as above already described) a group of filters and a group of presets and apply all of them to all the 40 images.
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

16,837 Registered Users
+11 new last day!

118,933 Posts
+22 new last day!

10,838 Topics
+14 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

6 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter