Login - Create Account
Bookmark and Share

FF 4 won't open in PS CC

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
Hudsonhawk
I'm using a mac running OS 10.8.5 Filter Forge 4 will open in PS CS6, but will not open In PS CC. I had the same issue during the the beta testing. I just uninstalled and reinstalled FF 4, but it still will not open in CC. Any ideas?

Thanks
  Details E-Mail
Hudsonhawk
Never mind, got it.
  Details E-Mail
Goldgraeber
Hi Hudsonhawk, same problem (running Mavericks) but no solution. Could you share yours?
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
Goldgraeber, does Filter Forge work correctly for you in the standalone mode?
  Details E-Mail
Goldgraeber
Hi,

yes it opens standalone, and it opens in CS6 version. It does not show up in CC.
BTW: the system also has Nik (Google) Efex installed. Because this has been reported as a source of coexistence problems, I have temporarily removed the Google folder from plugins, but that did not make any change
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
Please download and reinstall the latest version from the download page.

If Filter Forge still fails to install as a plugin, please launch Terminal from Spotlight or Launchpad > Utilities and type this:

cd /Applications/Filter\ Forge\ 4/
sudo ./InstallPlugins

Sudo will ask you for an admin password, as InstallPlugins requires elevated privileges.
  Details E-Mail
Goldgraeber
Hi,

this did not solve the problem either (and, in fact, the previous version had "installed", since a Filter folder with the plugin had appeared inside Plugins folder. However, the manual install (and seeing some messages) helped:
First of all, it complained about ln not permitted ..., and the plugin file was not updated. Next, I explicitly removed the plugin and ran the manual install again - new file, another complaint about ln, and still not working. ls -l on the plugin showed that it was linked to the ppc version. Here I tried ln -sf to replace the link, but ln complained. Removing the previous link and then linking worked (Is there no ln -sf on a Mac, or did Mavericks add some constraints?)
Now the x86 version of plugin works perfect.

I did not look at the install script, but ln complaining about permissions while a new file actually gets there looks weird - is install trying the symlink more than once?
  Details E-Mail
Hitch
Hi,

I am having the same problem with getting FF to run on Photoshop CC on my Mac running Lion 10.8.5. I can get it to recognize FF (it shows under filters) but when I try to open it I get the message "Could not complete the Filter Forge 4 command because of a program error".

I didn't sign up for this and will need to contest the charge if there is no fix.
  Details E-Mail
Hitch
I tried the Moderators fix (running: cd /Applications/Filter\ Forge\ 4/
sudo ./InstallPlugins) and got the following response:

Searching for Adobe Photoshop CC...
Adobe Photoshop CC found at /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/.
ln: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Filters/FilterForge.pluginv4/: Operation not permitted
Failed to install Filter Forge plugin for Adobe Photoshop CC.

any other suggestions?
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
Hitch, this means the plugins were physically installed but for some reason Photoshop fails to recognize them.

Please locate this file:
/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Filters/FilterForge.pluginv4

delete this file and then run InstallPlugins again:
open Terminal and type this:

cd /Applications/Filter\ Forge\ 4/
sudo ./InstallPlugins

InstallPlugins should report that "plugin installed successfully". Run PS CC and check if it helped.
  Details E-Mail
JennR
Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem as Hitch. I'm on a Mac (brand new Maverick OS), running the latest version of PS CC, and I just downloaded FilterForge 4. I did exactly as you just described and got the same error as before:

ln: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Filters/FilterForge.pluginv4/: Operation not permitted

Is there something else we can try?

Thanks,
Jenn
  Details E-Mail
JennR
Addendum: I downloaded and installed FreePack3 - Frames and suddenly now all the plug-ins are working. Weird, but yay!

Jenn
  Details E-Mail
Hitch
I am still having no luck getting PS CC to recognize FF4. I have tried the above suggestion and get this message:

How can I uninstall FF4 so I can do a clean install?
  Details E-Mail
mrcricket
mrcricket
I am having the exact same issue. Tried running the script in Terminal and get this reply:

Please help. I'm on a deadline and need Filter Forge to help me make it.
Jonathan
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
Please delete the /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Filters/FilterForge.pluginv4 file and copy the entire "Filter Forge 4" folder from /Applications/ to /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Filters.
  Details E-Mail
Hitch
OK, THAT DID IT!!!

Copying the entire FF app into PS CC plugin folder made the difference. It all seems to work as advertised. Thank you GMM for sticking with it!
  Details E-Mail
catinaround
Cat
I can't run FF4 inside of Photoshop and it won't render outside of Photoshop. I took a screenshot of what shows in my Plug-ins folder for Photoshop (CS5). What should I delete in order to do the install GMM mentions above? (I don't want to delete something in error.)

Details E-Mail
bethrosengard
I just had the same problem as Hitch and it was solved with the same solution given by GMM. Thanks guys!

Beth
  Details E-Mail
shiftstudio
Shift Studio
Filters: 1
Please delete the /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Filters/FilterForge.pluginv4 file and copy the entire "Filter Forge 4" folder from /Applications/ to /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Filters.

This way worked for me too - although I see it as kind of a workaround solution...
--shift studio.
  Details E-Mail
hitchfilter
Another point that some may not realize is that FF will not open or load a PSD file. I believe the formats that are compatible include: JPEG, PNG, TIFF, OpenEXR, TGA and PFM. There may be others, but I could not find an all inclusive list anywhere in FF4. If you try to open FF4 to apply a filter to a .PSD file I get a program error message.
  Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

Filters: 220
Heres the list when opening an image in FF....

Stupid things happen to computers for stupid reasons at stupid times!
  Details E-Mail
Prot
Got the same problem.

1- Filter Forge 4 folder (in Applications) has a permission problem -> copy all files inside this folder into a new folder in "Applications" - Delete the old folder and rename the new one Filter Forge 4.

2- Delete "FilterForge.pluginv4" in Photoshop/plugins/filters (it leads to the PPC plugin, that's why it does not work properly)

3- You have to create a symbolic link for "Filter Forge 4 universal x86.plugin".

To do that: download the really useful app: SymbolicLinker and copy the file "SymbolicLinker.service" into /Library/Services/

In "Filter Forge 4" folder -> right clic on "Filter Forge 4 universal x86.plugin" > Services > Make Symbolic Link

It creates a symbolic link "Filter Forge 4 universal x86.plugin symlink"

Move this file into photoshop > plug-ins > filters folder and rename it "FilterForge.pluginv4"

Now it works with CC and mavericks
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
Yes, the above method works. Instead of a symlink you can create an alias for the Filter Forge 4 universal x86.plugin file by Alt+Cmd+dragging it to the target location.
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

17,535 Registered Users
+11 new last day!

121,576 Posts
+73 new last day!

11,199 Topics
+14 new last day!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

8 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter