Login - Create Account
Bookmark and Share

Looking for filter that will selectively fade edges

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
Torley
Second Lifer

Heyhey! It's been awhile since I've posted but I've lurked here in the meantime... I did some searches but couldn't find what I'm looking for. Basically, I seek a filter that will selectively fade individual edges and let me control the range, strength, etc. of the fade. I found some fun vignette filts, but those fade ALL FOUR EDGES of a rectangular/square image and I just want to do one at a time.

Does anyone know something that matches my wishes? Very much appreciated in advance... thank-you! =)
I'm enjoying using Filter Forge to create http://torley.com/textures
  Details E-Mail
Crapadilla
lvl 52 Filter Weaver and Official "Filter Forge Seer"

Filters: 59
Sounds like something that could be constructed from uberzev's 'any angle gradient', although in that case it probably won't work with non-square images. smile;)
--- Crapadilla says: "Damn you, stupid redundant feature requests!" ;)
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

Filters: 97
dont know of any that way off-hand, torley, but shldnt be hard to do. some profile gradiesnts, curves and a frame component shld do it. you want the fade to fade to a color or fade to transparent?

and welcome back.... you lurker! smile:D
If wishes were horses... there'd be a whole lot of horse crap to clean up!

Craig
  Details E-Mail
ssamm
Filters: 21
Good idea, Torley. Maybe this is something like what you had in mind?

fade each side.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
ssamm
I made another version for rectangular images using uberzev's proportional gradient snippet(but it runs faster if the first switch is set to the square image version). I also changed other things slightly.

fade each side irect imagez.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

that last one looks pretty good, ssamm. can you fade it to a transparent too?

Craig
  Details E-Mail
ssamm
Thanks, Kraellin.

Yeah, I think the filter can do what you suggest. To make the “fading” be transparent (vs. some chosen color), just make sure the “transp vs color” checkbox/controller is not checked (i.e. so there’s no checkmark in the controller’s box). All three presets in the filter have it checked “on” – ‘cuz I thought it looked more illustrative that way; but now I’m thinking having at least one preset with that controller checked “off” would have been even more helpful…
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

ok, thanks, ssamm. looks good. nice job smile:)

Craig
  Details E-Mail
Torley
Second Lifer

Ooh ooh I'm so excited! So glad to see you guys again... both old faces and new, w00terama! *checks out ssamm's filter, all excited* Thank-you for doing this!
I'm enjoying using Filter Forge to create http://torley.com/textures
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

16,834 Registered Users
+8 new last day!

118,933 Posts
+22 new last day!

10,838 Topics
+14 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last minute:

8 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter