Login - Create Account
Bookmark and Share

to: jffe, ronviers, jeffmeister

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
ssamm
Filters: 21
Here’s some responses I wanted to make in various threads/comments to filters, but presently felt too lazy/busy to again re-find the sources… (Kind of pathetic, I know...)

jffe,
…To be perfectly honest with ya, at this point in time, there isn't much that hasn't been hand coded as far as normal sounding stuff in the audio realm. If you are looking for a good synth or effect of a certain already defined type then message me, I can probably point you toward several to try the demos of. In the end, commercial "hand-coded" stuff is superior is most ways (if only speed/cpu-wise,…

Thanks for the info in general and thanks for the mention of SynthEdit and Synthmaker – I’ll probably look more into them (if nothing else, just to kill time in an entertaining way). Since I’ve only meagerly looked into the audio realm and since there seems to be a ton of free VST synths already online, so far, I haven’t yet justified moving beyond any demo/trial phases and into the realm of buying any synth programs yet…

Do you have any personal favorite synth (or in general, audio) programs? (In general, I’ve mostly only used faux-analogue, subtractive types of synths -- but still haven’t even found a favorite in that area yet.) I’ve appreciated your approach to FF filter making, so I am curious as to what your favorites are in the audio realm? (My questioning, here, is meant to be vague, general and abstract – where with any or no response, it would be interesting to me...)
(Personally, I’ve enjoyed messing around with “Reason” -- maybe that’s a program I’ll buy? However I haven’t been able to integrate it with my Acid program too well – so that’s a bit of a turn off...)

ronviers and Jeffmeister,

Hey, totally thanks for mentioning me in your "Exoskeleton" and "Alien Ribs2" filters. I’m glad/flattered that you could find modifications/improvements for it… smile:)
  Details E-Mail
jffe
Filters: 90
ssamm wrote:
Do you have any personal favorite synth (or in general, audio) programs? (In general, I’ve mostly only used faux-analogue, subtractive types of synths

----Subtractive in and of itself is rather obsolete, good for classic pop music sounds from the 70's through now since hiphop still uses them a lot. FM synthesis has come a long ways since the old yamaha DX7's. And there's still not much being done with additive and physical modelling, much like in the hardware realm where those are pretty much non-existant (other than "physical modelled analog/subtractive synths, which is pretty much meaningless in that it's not analog, and ANY analog modelling is just digital subtractive etc.). Personally I like Zebra 2 the best these days, it's just so *pure* sounding, and yet has a ton of modulation options so it can sound like many things. Reaktor was fun for a while, until you realize that the huge user library is about 98% repeats and sonic experiment crap, of no use in actually making pitch-based music ha-ha. Ultimately, it really depends on what kinds of sounds, and what kind of range of sounds you need. You almost can't go wrong with Zebra 2, cept it's about $189, so on the spendier side, but it could very well be the only softsynth a person needs at this point in time.

ssamm wrote:
(Personally, I’ve enjoyed messing around with “Reason” -- maybe that’s a program I’ll buy? However I haven’t been able to integrate it with my Acid program too well – so that’s a bit of a turn off...)

----Last time I read about Reason, it was a closed system, ie = it couldn't run just any vst plug-in, only it's own, and it also wasn't too friendly with other hosts via rewire. Reason has always been a world unto itself in that way, and not the "best world" in most people's opinions, although it does have a substantial user base. You might try FL Studio, it's maybe even simpler on the surface, but it's very stable, runs almost any vst plug in you can shove into it, and it's got a nice quick drum machine step sequencer type interface. I still use FL for some simpler tasks myself, it's just a good starting host, and it can be expanded and dug deeper into down the road, when you learn more you find the FL does more already and was kind of waiting for you under that simple surface. smile:)

jffe
Filter Forger
  Details E-Mail
ssamm
Filters: 21
jffe,

Cool, thanks for the Zebra 2 (it looks especially interesting) and FL recommendations. smile:)

Details E-Mail
ronviers
na

Filters: 35
ssamm wrote:
thanks for mentioning me in your "Exoskeleton"

You're welcome ssamm, thanks for checking out my filters. smile:)
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

17,454 Registered Users
+5 new last day!

121,312 Posts
+8 new last day!

11,149 Topics
+10 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last minute:

6 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter