SpaceRay

Filters: 33
I See Rainbows by Poly77
http://filterforge.com/filters/10536.html

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

OOOH!! I see your Rainbows and like them very much. Well done and original. Good idea.

Please, any possible recommendations to how to get the best effects with this filter?

I have seen that it depends much on the source but do not know really how it works.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Here is another example

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I have seen that you get a bad result if the background is mostly white but good result if it is more darker.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

And here another one.

All the examples have been done with preset 1 and probably some slighty change of setting in some.

Using the Size Pixels slider you can get different effects too.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

This is the same as above but I have Used the Size Pixels slider to get different effects in the colors bands and distribution as you can see here, do not low this too much because you will get fine color lines instead.

Details E-Mail
Poly77
HoF
Filters: 30
Those look awesome! I submitted an update today, so probably by Monday they will have the update in, not sure if they check updates/submissions over the weekend. Added some controls on there to adjust lighter photos so it works better with this filter. Updated a couple presets that used photos with light backgrounds and light images.
Yeah just photos that are all over light does not work too well, it needs a good dark contrast to the images, but with the update I submitted it will fix most of that problem smile:). I also find this filter gives a pretty cool effect on close up face photos, here's an example:

I also submitted a new rainbow filter today, similar to this but with a different trail effect.
HeartOfFlames Resident on Second Life.
  Details E-Mail
Poly77
HoF
But of course that photo I did use the updated filter lol.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Thanks for the update and will see it on monday as on weekends there is no support or filters published (although sometimes there has been exceptions to filter appearing on saturday or even sunday) so I will see it next week.

Please, any possible recommendations to how to get the best effects with this filter?

What sources will probably work best ?
  Details E-Mail
Poly77
HoF
From what I've seen that you've done, you have the right idea, I would lower the density on photos that are "busy", and change the trail angle to 0 and color angle to 2, lower max trail. The main thing is adjusting the Gamma (which that control will be in the update), it does make a world of difference on some photos, lighter ones especially.

The best types of photos on this are photos with a central image that is dark (but not too dark, details should be clearly seen) with a light background, or a clear crisp bright central image on a dark background. If you find the details of your image is not showing through enough, lower the trail density and max trail and change the trail and color angles around. smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Poly77
HoF
Also I would try some things like maybe running the photo through pshop first, and use a simple filter from there on it like this maybe:

On that I used the preview FF image Window, and used Stylize>Tiles first, settings of tiles 10, offset 30 and background white. There's just a lot of things that can be done that will make the effect even more interesting.
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Filters: 67
Some insane awesomeness smile:D
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Thanks very much for the suggestions and tips, I will wait until today that the new update is available and make new experiments and tests.

This have a great potential and could give very good results.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I have tried the new update and it works better, this is a black and white background converted with this great and colorful beautiful filter

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

And now applied to a black and white soft smoke with a soft light trail showing

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I see rainbows falling from sky

Details E-Mail
Poly77
HoF
I love the smoke!
  Details E-Mail
Ghislaine
Ghislaine

Filters: 108
Love this filter

with my wireframe

Details E-Mail
Ghislaine
Ghislaine

another example with my plant brush

Details E-Mail
Ghislaine
Ghislaine

other example with my dots

Details E-Mail
Ghislaine
Ghislaine

a last one with smoke

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Nice examples Ghislaine, I like them and are well done, but there is one thing missing and is the trail effects this filter can do. As I see them this is only like a Rainbow colorization that you have applied to you nice sources.

I am NOT telling you that this examples SHOULD have the trail effects, because this is optional and you decide if you want them or not.
  Details E-Mail
Ghislaine
Ghislaine

Yes I know about the trail. But sometime when I create compositions with few brushes together, I do not need to add a trail on each one. It depends of my need for adding a trail or not. I love in particular your smoke example.
  Details E-Mail
Poly77
HoF
Very nice guys smile:). I was playing around with it more today and used a photo of a planter I had taken with a red background, it turned out pretty neat, eventho it's of a ceramic planter lol.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Here I have another possible useful use

You can make also backgrounds if you use the trail opacity at value 0

Here I show the values I have used for this example and it will depend on the image you use, but could probably work on many images in the same way.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Here is exactly the same source as above and with the same settings and the only change from this to the one above here is that I have rised the Trail opacity to 65

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I have used a bump map render made from the Asteroid by Rawn filter

And thought that it would look good if added some colors in a curious way, and this is filter is very good on this.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Here is the source of the bump map

Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Filters: 20
Cool idea, using the bump map of a filter as input for another filter smile:)
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I have found again this great, original, curious, and well done filter, and think that it gives a beautiful and awesome colorful effect from plain and normal images.

Using preset 1

I have made the original with my own filter Alphabet Texture creator Extended version that will be available soon

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

And also apart from the above example I wanted to use also a photo of some clocks to show more of this filter can make

Left side using preset 1 and right side preset 7

Note: this filter will not work right if the image has a white background, specially with preset 1

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

As said this filter works better with darker colors than bright ones, here is a lion head photo using preset 1

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Using a black and white texture of a heavily cracked paint I tried to use 4 different presets based on the same source and here are the results

Considering also that this filter works better with dark color rather than bright and whiter colors, and that this includes a lot of bright and white, is curious to see how it works

Preset 1 here make a soft blend and brightens the source

Here the effect is done vertically from top to bottom

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Preset 4 is like Preset 1 but inclined and so it gives more shadow like eefect and some little stronger effect

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Then Preset 5 will give the strongest effect and a darker one with more impact on color and with few trails but making beautiful gradients of tones

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

And here is the last of the 4 examples using Preset 7 that will give the longest trails horizontally

Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

17,303 Registered Users
+7 new last day!

120,767 Posts
+49 new last day!

11,076 Topics
+21 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

10 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter