Login - Create Account

Programmer Needed: Custom vector halftone filter?

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
jkstudio
I am writing from a New York art studio. We are looking for a programmer who would be able to create a custom plugin or stand alone product with the same result. We work in CS2 in OSX 10.4 and would prefer this product be Mac based.

We use an effect on our artworks which is based on the stock Adobe Photoshop “Color Halftone” filter. We then export this artwork and paint it using vinyl masks, separately masking each color. In order to do this we must vectorize the halftone pattern manually. We have tried automated (streamline, autotrace..) vectorization, but these create unwanted artifacts, funky intersections, and not quite circular circles.

Ideally, we would like to create a plug-in or program that would automate this process. It could use the “Color Halftone” effect and supply us with the results in a vector format, or if it generates it’s own halftone the results must be absolutely identical to that of the Adobe filter. The answer may lie in the Adobe Photoshop halftone filter itself. It seems likely that in the process of the filter’s computation of the image, the “dots” of the halftone must exist in the program as perfect mathematical circles which then are rendered into the bitmapped effect. Could it be possible to base a plug-in on this already extant process that would export vector based circles? The remainder of our process could be accomplished with a relatively simple script.

We are under some deadline pressure and need to generate a working solution as soon as possible. If you are interested in this project please be ready to take it on immediately. Thanks,

Mat Victor

Details E-Mail
uberzev
not uberfez

Filters: 36
I'm pretty sure there are existing plugins like this for Illustrator.
  Details E-Mail
jkstudio
We looked. I haven't seen anything that creates a VECTOR and 4 COLOR halftone effect from a bitmap image. There are things that do elements of this process but nothing that does it exactly... PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong!
  Details E-Mail
uberzev
not uberfez

I found a program that can do this. It sort of sucks but it might hold you over for a while.

http://www.ransen.com/repligator/Half-Tone-Vector.htm

It looks like you'll have to run each channel seperatly to get 4 colors. You will also have to do the rotation manually.
  Details E-Mail
jkstudio
Thanks for your research, but again, what I wrote above is very precise. It MUST replicate EXACTLY the photoshop color halftone effect which actually does not look much like a print halftone (it's not even CMYK). Also, must be MAC native....

I really need a custom coder.
  Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

Filters: 249
Most of the times when using Autotrace funtions there is always clean-up involved. Even if its just zooming in to the vector image to make sure it even looks good. It all depends on the quality of what you are tracing. If none of those worked then I doubt that a custom tracing plug would even work. Don't know what your budget is or how often you use this but there is an app for the signage industry called Flexisign.
You should give that a look. Its not an inexpensive app thou.
Stupid things happen to computers for stupid reasons at stupid times!
  Details E-Mail
uberzev
not uberfez

CFandM wrote:
If none of those worked then I doubt that a custom tracing plug would even work.
He doesn't want another tracing program. He wants a program that makes vector halftones directly from bitmap images, skipping photoshop entirely.
  Details E-Mail
Vladimir Golovin
Administrator
Filters: 55
I've emailed this link to a friend of mine -- he's a skilled artist/programmer, and he has experience with vectors.
  Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

uberzev wrote:
CFandM wrote: If none of those worked then I doubt that a custom tracing plug would even work. He doesn't want another tracing program. He wants a program that makes vector halftones directly from bitmap images, skipping photoshop entirely.

I was kinda thinking and typing at the same time on that. There is this one that may or may not be what you need. But being from where it is you may have seen it already.

http://www.flamingpear.com/indiaink.html
  Details E-Mail
uberzev
not uberfez

CFandM wrote:
I was kinda thinking and typing at the same time on that. There is this one that may or may not be what you need. But being from where it is you may have seen it already.

http://www.flamingpear.com/indiaink.html
Nice link but that still doesn't do vector output.
  Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

Yep that one does not do vector output. But this is closer I think. I have not tried it but here is some info.

http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.co...p?id=53978
Vectoraster 1.0

Heres the summary on the above page.

Vectoraster 1.0 from Lost Minds is a standalone application that takes a still image (JPEG, TIFF, PSD, etc.) and applies screen-like effects to it (made of columns of dots, squares and other shapes). It then allows you to export the resulting effect as an EPS file, with each individual element of the effect fully editable in vector illustration programs like Adobe Illustrator.

Here is the Homepage.
http://www.lostminds.com/content/frameset.html
  Details E-Mail
uberzev
not uberfez

Great find CFandM! smile8)
  Details E-Mail
jkstudio
Yes, That is a great program! Thanks. Still not exactly what I'm looking for. Again, I need a vector version of the EXACT photoshop halftone effect. Does anyone know if it is possible to "hack" into the photoshop halftone filter and create something that would export the effect to vectors?
  Details E-Mail
Lucato
FF addicted

Filters: 39
Yup, great find CFandM, unfortunately it is only for Mac. smile:(
Hey Jk, can't you just apply the effect on the image by using Photoshop/Halftone effect and save the results (jpg image) and load and convert into the Vectoraster? Maybe you should contact the Vectoraster developer, maybe he can help you out.
Image Image
  Details E-Mail
BLUEFROG

Filters: 6
Lucato:

Vectoraster is not a vectorizer in the same way Streamline was. It generates its own periodic grids and patterns. The plugin Silhouette for Illustrator (Mac/PC - http://www.silhouetteonline.com/) could do what you're suggesting. I won't say the results will be "perfect" circles but if the raster image was at least 600 dpi (and preferable a 1-bit (bitmap) file) then there's a decent chance of getting visually "perfect" circles.

Jim
BLUEFROG
  Details E-Mail
Vladimir Golovin
Administrator
Filters: 55
What you're trying to do looks very similar to a regular printing process. I'm not familiar with the English/American printing terminology, but I'll try to explain anyway.

There's a machine used in the pre-press process that takes a postscript file and outputs a set of films, one for each of the CMYK channels (a rough translation of the machine's name from Russian to English would be 'photo-output').

The bitmaps contained within the postscript file are converted into halftone dots as they come through the machine. As far as I know, the dot size and the pattern rotation angles for each of the CMYK (or other) channels are configurable, either via the postscript driver or via the settings of this 'photo-output' machine.

My idea is, maybe you could simply tweak these settings, for example, set the dot size to a ridiculously large value so that it resembles the Photoshop effect you're trying to reproduce?

Update: maybe the machine name is RIP (raster image processor)?
  Details E-Mail
BLUEFROG

Filters: 6
I think this is an equation that cannot be solved for lack of information. You say you're painting on vinyl masks. What are you creating the masks with? A Roland, Gerber, etc?? If so, what about the typical signmaking software (FlexiSign, etc.)? What about printing directly out of Photoshop to a vinyl cutter with a low linescreen and custom angles?? What exactly is the effect you're reproducing? (Let's see a JPEG of it). I've got almost 21 years in Prepress and Graphics Arts so I've got a big bag of tricks but I'm not quite sure what ones may apply here.

Jim
BLUEFROG

Vlad: It is a RIP and it is a Raster Image Processor.
  Details E-Mail
jkstudio
Again, My initial description is very precise. I need the exact adobe color halftone effect in precise vectors. We need to generate registering masks of 6-10 different colors (we use a Summa FYI). The circles must be perfectly geometrical. We have tried every possible vectorization software incl. flexsign. None can do a precise job without a lot of cleanup.

I need someone who can program something to do exactly this.

Thanks guys!

Details E-Mail
uberzev
not uberfez

Try a craigslist post in the "gigs" section.
  Details E-Mail
mikima
maybe is late, but you can use the Scriptographer plug-in to do that.
http://www.scriptographer.com/Gallery/Image-Rasters/
  Details E-Mail
uberzev
not uberfez

mikima wrote:
maybe is late, but you can use the Scriptographer plug-in to do that.
I don't see a true color halftone in those examples.
  Details E-Mail
WorkshopDesign
Sr. Project Designer
The only program I found was done by VanDerLee which is for PC. Otherwise I am stumped as well... I am looking for the same thing for a MAC!!!

If you find a plugin for a MAC let me know as I could really use this right about now or whenever!
___

Josh LeMar
PROJECT DESIGNER

WORKSHOP
{ EXPERIENCE ideas }
  Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

WorkshopDesign wrote:
The only program I found was done by VanDerLee which is for PC. Otherwise I am stumped as well... I am looking for the same thing for a MAC!!!

If you find a plugin for a MAC let me know as I could really use this right about now or whenever! ___

Hello and welcome to the site...I have not thought about this in a while but I did run across this site here...
http://www.phantasmcs.com/features/
More features are at the bottom about the halftone effects..
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,369 Registered Users
+18 new in 7 days!

137,641 Posts
+47 new in 7 days!

13,417 Topics
+10 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

5 unregistered users.

Recent Forum Posts:

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter