by CorvusCroax, September 2009.
Tools: Filter Forge, Adobe Photoshop CS4, Particle Illusion 3.
1) Made the Forge text- about 30% gray. Put a little bit of (almost black) edge bevel on it.
2) Added bump chanel from a modified version of Battleship-Plate by Rawn (RawArt)#3704. Set to lighten blending mode. Used the knockout mask to confine only to the letters. Now have an image like the 'before' above, which I use for my base heightmap.
3) Duplicate the heightmap and hit it with Rusterizer, preset #1. Repeat again with with preset #4.
4) Now have 2 layers with the same shape, but different 'rust' treatments. Blend between them using an alpha mask so there is more variety and variation from the top to the bottom.
5) Similar process as 2-4 for the background.
6) For the pointy flames: Make another copy of the base heightmap, and hit it with Burninator by Richard Bartlett#1576. Take result, set to screen.
7) Add an alpha mask and blend in the areas around the tips of the letters. This helps control the areas which look cool, and gets rid of the areas which don't.
8) Made the lower flames from something I had laying around already made using particle illusion. Again, set to screen.