Login - Create Account
Bookmark and Share

User friendly filter creation interface

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
MysticEyes
MysticEyes
Filters: 6
make the filter creation interface more user friendly. Make it so that its easier for beginners to be able to create their own filters and understand how all the different components work.
  Details E-Mail
Vladimir Golovin
Administrator
Filter Forge, Inc.
Filters: 55
Do you have any specific suggestions in mind?
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
MysticEyes, you can take a look at FilterMeister and compare 'user friendliness' of filter creation in FilterMeister and Filter Forge.
  Details E-Mail
Totte
Übernerd

Filters: 99
It took me about 4 minutes to make my first filter after I've downloaded FF, and ok, it wasn't a top notch filter, would never have gotten either HU or EP, but it was very easy to just get going.

Maybe there should be more sample snippets with the download instead, easy texture, easy distortion, and the possibility to "pick" from those directly in the editor, like a new category in the components list, from which you can drag "snippets" constructed by a few components, but the interface is as I see it simple enough.
- I never expected the Spanish inquisition
  Details E-Mail
Vladimir Golovin
Administrator
Filter Forge, Inc.
Filters: 55
GMM, comparing FF and FM is a bit like comparing apples and oranges (a scripting environment and a node-based system). Obviously, a visual editor is more user-friendly than a script-based toolkit, but I'd still like to hear more about "stumbling points" of FF's editor from a beginner's point of view.
  Details E-Mail
MysticEyes
MysticEyes
For me its really hard to figure out what steps to take on creating filters. For the most part for me its a lot of experimenting in hopes that I will learn what works with what in the components, but there are still a lot of things that I struggle with like the curves, the sliders, and building my filters so that it creates more than just a default that is variable.
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
Vladimir, FilterMeister is not a universally-known software (look at their Alexa rank). Users need something to compare Filter Forge with smile:)

MysticEyes, you may want to browse through the Filter Creation section in our wiki.
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

Filters: 97
mystic,

one of the best ways to learn to use the editor is to take an existing filter and just open it up in the editor. pick a fairly simple one to start, not one of ThreeDees smile:) then, just plug existing components in and out to see what the effect is in the thumbnail views. this can give a new person a very good idea of what each component does or at least some idea of some of the capabilities.

there are help files, one in the program and then the wiki pages. the forums are good for asking specific questions you cant find the answers to elsewhere. we've a pretty good, helpful group here. and, the developers are very good about showing up and responding as well. you've already got the attention of two of them smile:)

dont worry too much about making mistakes or not having an A1 filter to submit right away. just learn the individual tools and the high use filters will come.
If wishes were horses... there'd be a whole lot of horse crap to clean up!

Craig
  Details E-Mail
MysticEyes
MysticEyes
do you have any good basic filters to recommend that I study. I really want to learn to make some really cool filters
  Details E-Mail
Totte
Übernerd

@MysticEyes: I started out by dissecting "Wood - by Kochubey" http://www.filterforge.com/filters/284.html.

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

for glass and metal, try steviej's filters. or, get some of the freepacks and dissect those.

Craig
  Details E-Mail
MysticEyes
MysticEyes
what i am trying to do is create something similar to glitter. not like how people use noise in photoshop to create glitter. i want to make something were to can see the grains of the glitter and where some spots have where the light hits it and it sparkles. something like :

That is a sample that I made, but not with FF, I want to learn how to make a filter to make the end result look more realistic. Could someone teach me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
  Details E-Mail
Betis
The Blacksmith

Filters: 75
I whipped this up in a few minutes. Bombers, custom lights, and BAM! smile:)

Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base are belong to you.
  Details E-Mail
MysticEyes
MysticEyes
That is exactly what I want to learn to make. WOW smile:) smile:) smile:) smile:) smile:) smile:) smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Betis
The Blacksmith

Filters: 75
Well, you can really only do it if you have the beta. Here's what it looks like:

smile:)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base are belong to you.
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Filters: 163
Vladimir Golovin wrote:
I'd still like to hear more about "stumbling points" of FF's editor from a beginner's point of view.

Okay... smile:D Well, it's not as easy as "plug n go" because you do have to test, adjust, set parameters, etc.....people will have different learning-curves with something like this.....with some feeling overwhelmed, analitically phobic, and feeling that it is just too complicated to learn.....
Vladimir Golovin wrote:
Do you have any specific suggestions in mind?

of course I do.... smile:D I don't know how cost-effective it would be to try and appeal to all learning levels.....but a version of FF's node-based editor interface could be simplified towards something like Genitica.....

***flash to scene with villagers chasing Frankenstein with pitchforks and torches***
Steve

"Buzzards gotta eat...same as worms..." - Clint :)
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
StevieJ wrote:
could be simplified towards something like Genitica

Do you mean grouping components into a single node? We're working on this already smile:)
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Filters: 163
GMM wrote:
Do you mean grouping components into a single node? We're working on this already

Yup.....and excellent.....should do alot to help those who feel that filter construction is too complicated.....

That's going to be an "alternative version" of FF, right??? In other words.....your going to keep the "full manual control" version???
Steve

"Buzzards gotta eat...same as worms..." - Clint :)
  Details E-Mail
Totte
Übernerd

Do you mean grouping components into a single node? We're working on this already

That is what I mean with snippets library as well. Then, the new users will need a snippets library with some good sample effects that they just can pull out , hook up and get going.

One question, will "snippets" or "grouped components" be visible as one object all the time, expandable, so you can look inside, or will the even be put onto the workspace as a group of objects, or is it so that you can select a "grouped" object and choose to expand it, or select a grouop of components and choose to "group them"?

If you are doing this, having the possibility to transform component groups from or to a grouped object would really be useful. You have something in a filter that you think will be useful in the future, select the components involved, select what inputs the group have and where they go, and boom, you have a "mega component / group / snippet".

And in the case of being new ti FF:
And you have a megacomponent /snippet / componentgroup in the library, you add it you your filter, but want to experiment, so you "ungrouo" it, and get all its components there, to fiddle with.
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

http://www.filterforge.com/wiki/index...t#Grouping

http://www.filterforge.com/forum/read...9&TID=1971

Craig
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

17,454 Registered Users
+5 new last day!

121,312 Posts
+11 new last day!

11,149 Topics
+10 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 15 minutes:

14 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter