Login - Create Account

Cracking and Branching Techniques?

Messages 1 - 45 of 66
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 
Login or Register to post new topics or replies
CorvusCroax
CorvusCroax

Filters: 17
So, I'm wondering if anyone has good techniques for making branching and cracking patterns in FF? Thinking Cracks, Veins, Branches, etc. Thanks in advance!

Details E-Mail
KGtheway2B
KGtheway2B

Filters: 34
I think you've already gotten beyond me in terms of technical skill- but I'd recommend trying a threshold on some fancy combo of noises.

Here's my three second attempt:

Details E-Mail
KGtheway2B
KGtheway2B

Filters: 34
Probably won't help but whatever...

mehhhh.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
CorvusCroax
CorvusCroax

Inky tendrils...

I'm not sure how this one happend, actually. It sort of branches. Weird effects when you roll the perlin angles around.

Details E-Mail
CorvusCroax
CorvusCroax

I like all the positive negative space things happening here. It's sort of Edward Gorey. Or maybe abstract art made by spiders.

Details E-Mail
CorvusCroax
CorvusCroax

Switching over to chaffs.

Details E-Mail
Redcap
Redcap

Filters: 100
This is the easiest way I have found, and it gets nice effects:

Expierment with chaffs and what have you for different effects: Plus super fast!

crack.ffxml

If you are bored check out my unpractical math website
  Details E-Mail
Sjeiti
sock puppet

Filters: 70
As far as branching concerns... this might be nice to look into http://www.filterforge.com/filters/4867.html
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Filters: 163
The "Chaffs" approach definitely looks the best so far...... smile8)
Steve

"Buzzards gotta eat...same as worms..." - Clint :)
  Details E-Mail
CorvusCroax
CorvusCroax

Redcap wrote:
This is the easiest way I have found, and it gets nice effects:
Expierment with chaffs and what have you for different effects: Plus super fast!

Yeah, that incredibly clever and non-obvious high pass trick is how I'm doing the ones above. (I pulled it off of Kochubey's very fine old photograph filter. http://www.filterforge.com/filters/5075.html) Very nice and crack-like result; not to mention super fast.

I have no idea why this high pass thing works the way it does. If you take patterns and and combine them, then they start to branch and criss-cross. (See attached file.) I've got two crossing perlin noises acting as the noise and the background respectively for a third noise (chaffs or otherwise)

I like how it looks, but it's very non-directional. Would be nice to have some way of making more splitting and branching happen to a linear input. Maybe offsetting through something like a scales pattern...

Crack Snippet 4.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
CorvusCroax
CorvusCroax

Sjeiti wrote:
As far as branching concerns... this might be nice to look into http://www.filterforge.com/filters/4867.html

Oh, that's fascinating: so you create a noise, and then rotate it slightly. Then you blend the original and the rotated versions, using difference ... which makes them look branching. Very clever!
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Filters: 111
Yes, high pass with stones and some noise distortion is what comes to mind looking at the samples.

Another thing that could help make it look like a branching pattern could be overlaying two (or more) noises and blending them with a thresholded stone pattern, so that one pattern comes through in the "white stones" and the other in the "black stones." This way there would a a discontinuity in the pattern which would look like cracks or branching. At least in theory -- haven't tried it.

(The thresholding stone pattern itself would have to be made into branches or cracks as well with high pass and blended with the above mix.)

Hope that was at least somewhat understandable. If not, I'll make a sample filter.
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Eh, reading that again, probably better just show it.

CracksTest.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Same filter, using a more contrasty perlin noise to control threshold:

That's with stones. Chaffs might work better.
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Chaffs

Yup, spideys are running wild tonight.

CracksTest2.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
jffe
Filters: 90
Seems like some blurring before the threshold might help make the branches thinner/more sparse, if that hasn't been done yet (I haven't looked inside any of these filters, just read the thread).

jffe
Filter Forger
  Details E-Mail
Redcap
Redcap

Here is a cool one that uberzev posted in his open gallery:

Busted.ffxml

Details E-Mail
Redcap
Redcap

Sorry, here is the pick.

P.S. Corvus, I found the same highpass method from the exact same filter smile:D

Details E-Mail
CorvusCroax
CorvusCroax

Hey, that's pretty nice. Uber hasn't submitted this one?
  Details E-Mail
CorvusCroax
CorvusCroax

ThreeDee wrote:
Yup, spideys are running wild tonight.

Hey, that's definitely looking more crack-like and branching.

So, ThreeDee (O Master of the offset node) how would one go about making this transformation? (see image) Is this even possible?

Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

I don't know of a one-step transformation that can do that. Each branching level would have to be done as it's own offset transformation. 5 offset steps could get you pretty close to that. That would give you or 2^5 = 32 branches at the top if you split into 2 at each level.

As to how, you could probably rip my Tree, Winter filter apart and see if you can make the branches more irregular. It may be far from the most optimum method; haven't looked at it in some time. It does branch into 3 at each level, so gets up to 3^3 = 27 branches in three offset steps.
  Details E-Mail
Sjeiti
sock puppet

...or maybe, if we're really nice, FF can implement some component that works like context free.
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Good idea, Sjeiti.....that would open up all kinds of new things..... smile:devil:

At the very least, there should be a noise component towards something like this.....because realistic branching, cracks, lightning, etc patterns are way more difficult than they should be......
Steve

Details E-Mail
CorvusCroax
CorvusCroax

Sjeiti wrote:
...or maybe, if we're really nice, FF can implement some component that works like context free.

That would be cool... It might be tough to get a balance between 'powerful scripting featureset' and 'easy to use'.

Is Context Free sort of like Processing? http://processing.org/

Do you use Context Free a lot Sjeiti?

Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

I think the best approach to getting realistic branching/cracking is by doing something similar to the concept of ThreeDee's "Lightning" filter.....but it's going to be excruciatingly slow..... smile:|
Steve

Details E-Mail
Sjeiti
sock puppet

Is Context Free sort of like Processing?

No, Processing is an abstraction layer upon Java, it was created to make Java accessible for non-programmers.
Context Free has it's own language. But I wouldn't call it a programming language, it's more a markup language. But I haven't used Context Free a lot. Did do lot's of Processing though.
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

A branching technique similar to the tree. Splitting into two at five levels.

Details E-Mail
CorvusCroax
CorvusCroax

That's awesome. How did you do it?
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

The slow way.

It is possible to split into more than two branches at once which helps. Still working on a sensible implementation of multibranching; something between this and the "fractal" style.

Here's the slow method:

Branching.ffxml
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

This is more along the line of a sensible method:

This is done basically in two branching steps, with multiple smaller branches at a time.

15 times faster than the slow method.
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Could make a nice leaf pattern.

Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

One more level of branching added:

Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

This is excellent!!! smile8) smile8) smile8)

Steve

Details E-Mail
Crapadilla
lvl 52 Filter Weaver and Official "Filter Forge Seer"

Filters: 65
Yup, nice work TD! smile:)
--- Crapadilla says: "Damn you, stupid redundant feature requests!" ;)
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Thanks, Dilla.

Here's another branching test, highpass style.

Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

And yet another, semidecomposed one.

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

Filters: 98
smile8) smile8)
If wishes were horses... there'd be a whole lot of horse crap to clean up!

Craig
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Improved forked lightning based on today's experimentation.

Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

And one more for now. Supergeeky "branching" method with perlin noise, gradients, threshold and high pass.

Details E-Mail
CorvusCroax
CorvusCroax

Wow, great stuff ThreeDee! The fisrt branching test (highpass style) reminds me of a city from the air. It has a very road-like feel. The forked lightning is also great.
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

there we go! that's what i've been waiting for, the forked lightning! gimme!! smile:D

Craig
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Hi Corvus, thanks! I think I figured out how I wanna do my new-and-improved forked lightning. It's something between the last two filters. The second one can do uniform lines and the one prior to that can make it realistic looking. Need to combine the best parts of both. The good news is, both render fast. Gotta try it tomorrow.
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Hi Kraellin, you managed to post at the same time as I did -- Gonna do some further improvements, but that will likely be the next one for submission.
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

cool. i want to use it in my 'storm clouds' filter (as yet unpublished due to waiting for lightning). so, the sooner you can post or publish, that would be excellent! and if you cant or decide not to, send it to me email. i really want a good lightning for that filter and i just never cracked the lightning effect.

Craig
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Closer...

Now just needs to thin out towards the extremities.

Details E-Mail

Messages 1 - 45 of 66
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,459 Registered Users
+17 new in 7 days!

137,914 Posts
+7 new last day!

13,449 Topics
+8 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last minute:

7 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter