Login - Create Account

Storing Group Presets

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
raabix
Nodist
Filters: 38
There is one thing I will beg you on my knees to implement:

Adding group presets to be among the list of drag'n'droppable components. I find myself many many times using groups of 3 or 4 nodes to create one specific kind of noise that I have bundled up nicely inside a group.
Right now I keep a huge library of filters that host these groups and whenever I need them, I have to save my filter (and close it), open my filter with the group preset, copy the group, open my old filter again and paste it there which is kind of a bummer.

If I were able to save my group presets somewhere where I had quick access to them, (like the components sidebar) I would be extremely happy. I know that this is colliding with the philsophy that you only find built-in components there, but it would surely be practical for the FF addicts as well since it would allow you to store recurring work easily. See the attached mockup what i mean, it is a suggestion that I have and it would be nice to see if other users have more ideas on this.

Details E-Mail
Ramlyn
Ramlyn

Filters: 312
Yes, it would be good. +1 smile:D
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Filters: 74
That's a nice mockup. Now imagine a version of this where it connects to a community hub of other drag-n-drop-able groups. THE POTENTIALS.
  Details E-Mail
raabix
Nodist
The only conflict I see is with the mockup is, that the group presets would live together with the builtin components, but it is the only way I could see that happening in the current UI of FF. But again that would raise the question whether a solution that allows (sub) folders would be better, so you can have categories like "noise", "patterns", "processing", "utilities" and so on. There are so many node snippets just waiting to be reused smile:ff:
  Details E-Mail
Crapadilla
lvl 52 Filter Weaver and Official "Filter Forge Seer"

Filters: 65
Yes, group presets are a must-have feature.

We discussed something like this quite a while ago (Clicky!), and Vladimir seemed to be in favor of the idea.
--- Crapadilla says: "Damn you, stupid redundant feature requests!" ;)
  Details E-Mail
raabix
Nodist
Wow, I did not know that you guys had elaborated so much on this topic already.

I totally love the idea that code snippets (=groups) could be shared on the website next to the typical downloadable filter category. Maybe i start work on this concept a bit more and make another implementation proposal. It is always easy to cry "I WANT THAT FEATURE" without knowing it's implication on the whole software- (and maybe even website-) design.
  Details E-Mail
Neil Blevins

I too have a bunch of noises I use all the time that are really just 3-4 node graphs, and would love to be able to group them and then just drag them from a custom component library. This is a must have feature, especially if its doubtful we'll see a bunch of new noises built in. Just adding my +1 to the list.

- Neil
  Details E-Mail
earthbound
+1
  Details E-Mail
Delerna
Delerna
Hi all
New user here. I bought version 5 3 days ago and already I see extreme value in this fantastic software.
Still learning the tool but have already desired to do this and a search for how to save groups is how I found this.

Just a thought on the method of saving the filter, opening another with the group in it, copying the group, reopening the filter being worked on and pasting the group into it, as mentioned by raabix.

I would like to say that even having the ability to right click on a blank area of the filter editor to bring up a context menu with the option to insert the contents of another filter file in to the one I am working on would be a step in the right direction.

I would think this would be a relatively easy way for the Filter Forge developers to provide in order for us to do this until the more practical way of doing it is completed?

Just a thought
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Filters: 33
YES, being able to store your own groups in a custom saved groups in the components list would be really very useful and handy to be able to reuse many different groups that are like nodes or custom components
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,333 Registered Users
+5 new last day!

137,525 Posts
+18 new last day!

13,400 Topics
+13 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last minute:

6 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter