Login - Create Account

Turbulence Noise Profile

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
Neil Blevins

A pretty common noise type available in other programs is "Turbulence". Turbulence is really just a modification of a base noise type. Take whatever base noise you want, put its range into -1 to 1, take the absolute value of that, and you get turbulence (note, this formula happens before fractal iterations are applied).

So for example, here's regular Perlin Noise:

and here it is after Turbulence is applied...

This can be applied to Worley Noise (Cellular), any any other noise type. With it you can achieve some great effects...

While it is possible to build a filterforge network to do this, it would be great if we could just have this in the Noise Profile of all the noise types as a preset, so is there any chance we could have it added? Thanks for listening!

- Neil
  Details E-Mail
xirja
xirja.com

Filters: 7
In the mean time, before custom components we can drag and drop, I've found a custom components folder helpful for cut and paste operations at least.

But actually, a V curve attached to the perlin profile isn't that much trouble.
  Details E-Mail
Neil Blevins

Ya, I'm actually considering making a filter that contains all of my custom components, so I can go in there and copy and paste them to WIP filters. Again, until we can drag and drop custom components from some sort of custom area in the components shelf, in which case I'll use that instead.

- Neil
  Details E-Mail
Sphinx.
Filter Optimizer

Filters: 38
While it makes it easier to experiment and try out things, it also adds to the control complexity of the noise components.

Since the effect is only one curve component away (or two if you want it to work with other curves too), it is unlikely that they'll add it.

Details E-Mail
Sphinx.
Filter Optimizer

Here is how you'd make it to take other curves too (the "Gain" curve could be anything here..)

Details E-Mail
Neil Blevins

While it makes it easier to experiment and try out things, it also adds to the control complexity of the noise components.

Well, it only adds one more entry into a drop down menu with 5 existing entries, so I don't see it adding that much more complexity, but I guess everyone has their own definition. For me adding an extra curve component is more complexity than adding it to the profile list, but we'll see if they'll consider it.

- Neil
  Details E-Mail
Sphinx.
Filter Optimizer

Ah, yes if you add it as a curve preset then you're right. I thought you wanted a checkbox that worked with any curve.
  Details E-Mail
Neil Blevins

Ah, yes if you add it as a curve preset then you're right. I thought you wanted a checkbox that worked with any curve.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. Ya, don't want that, just want it added to the already existing profile dropdown.

- Neil
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,333 Registered Users
+5 new last day!

137,525 Posts
+18 new last day!

13,400 Topics
+13 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last minute:

5 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter